1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommended service items... bogus?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dfkern, Nov 29, 2008.

1. dfkern

dfkern Junior Member

Today I took my 2005 Prius in for its 55,000 mile routine service. I have been basically faithful in getting service done, on schedule, since getting it new in May of 2005. I've always insisted that that the dealership use Mobil 1, which may be a little overkill every 5000 miles, but that's what I do. In addition to the routine maintenance items, they suggested: 1.) MAF (Mass Air Flow?) Sensor, $52.00; 2.) Service Throttle Body, $89.95; 3.) Vent Service, $70.00; 4.) Drive Belt Noise, $135.00 (Replace Belt); 5.) Adjust Park Brake, $89.95; 6.) Nitrogen Tire Service, $20.00; 7.) Check Alignment Next Visit as well by time, $84.95. As far as I know, none of these things other than the Drive Belt noise, which I've never heard, relate to any observed condition; they're just things which they recommend. I did not elect to have them do any of these things today, deferring to the next service at 60,000 miles. What's up with all of this? Are they just trying to raid my wallet for some Christmas shopping money? If this stuff is routinely required, why is it not on the scheduled maintenance list?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yes, all of these items are bogus (I also use a full synthetic oils each 5,000 miles). You need to consider changing out the ATF (Toyota Type WS ) at 60,000 miles which, of course the dealer will not suggest. The dealer should charge less than $100 for the job including the materials.

My 2004 Prius is now at 135,000 miles and none of their suggested jobs have been needed yet.

JeffD

3. dfkern

dfkern Junior Member

Thanks, Jeff. I think you just saved me some money. Out of curiosity, why would the dealer not suggest changing the ATF?

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Christ thats so out of line me thinks there probably drilling you on the Mobil 1 too......meaning there not even using it just throwing dino vat oil in the motor. Dealerships should do business out of a tent with a camel tied up next to it so at last you'd know who you were dealing with. It appears that have you marked as a chump. Don't be victimized by these ba*tards again.
    Avoid avoid.
    Just keep clean Mobil 1 5-30 in the car every 3000 miles. Change the trans fluid out every 30,000 miles and thats about it.
    Good luck.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    They don't seem to care if your tranny fails after 100,000 miles but you (and I) do. This is one that Toyota seems to miss as they only mention it for harsh use at 100,000 miles.

There is a group of Prii fanatics (including me) that have been doing lab testing of our ATF and the suggested intervals (first exchange at 30k and then each 60k thereafter for our NHW20 - more often for the earlier NHW11) I gave you seem to be indicated by those tests.

JeffD

ps: The dealer may try to push an ATF "flush" for more money. Don't let it happen as they:
    1. Don't have a way to do it in a Prius
    2. There is no torque converter (which is the reason that a flush may be better for a normal auto tranny).

It does turn out that we can only get about 70% of the ATF out with a drain/refill, but that seems to be sufficient.

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the prius got no drive belt

8. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just read your maintenance manual. It tells you what you REALLY need.
    Follow it, and NEVER BUY INTO THE DEALER'S BULL! :D

... Brad

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the dealer has been chronically overfilling the oil, and the MAF and throttle plate really do need service (that is, cleaning)? But if the car itself did not complain about them then those items probably are bogus.

10. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    90 bucks to adjust the parking brake? jesus!

I am thinking of having that done soon, mine is really sloppy, but they only charge 25 bucks.

just look at your service manual and go from that, mainly you just change the oil until later in the car's life. The 60k tranny wouldn't hurt