1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reconditioning/charger with more than 4 ports

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by drmax, Jun 30, 2023.

1. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I have searched here in the advanced search and nothing. Do they make a charger/reconditioner that can do multiple (more than 4) at once...that the price is still a good deal? I am possible looking at working on my battery, 2015 gen 3, but this is my only source of transportation to get to work, so time is important. Anyone?

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prolong system will do the whole pack.
    Get the charger/discharger system to do a complete reconditioning job.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a general rule a website search engine's box is never going to work as well as going directly to Google or similar service.

As for working on modules, once you spend another $20K on the latest system like professor Joe does over at https://2ndlifebattery.com/contact-us/ every half-dozen years you can process 80 modules at a time...

But for the rest of us, we use hobby chargers, which aren't designed for the job but work fairly well... Main thing that speeds things up for us is how powerful each individual charger is... I like SkyRC chargers and the difference in charging time between their 50w model and 60w model is significant.

Whereas the hobby chargers that allow you to process 4 different batteries at once will often promote a huge amount of wattage, but once you divide that wattage number by 4 you're usually looking at individual chargers that are much less wattage than what SkyRC charges with.

Also, for best results, when you're all done reconditioning modules you're gonna want to grid charge the whole pack / use a high voltage trickle charger to balance the modules via a Prolong or Maxx volt system... OR you can build your own for $100: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

4. HyperMilerG2

HyperMilerG2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm using the Maxx-Volts whole pack charger on my original 260k pack. It has kept the pack in perfect balance 0.06v voltage difference max.

PriusCamper likes this.