1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reconnecting battery 2017 Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KMH, Oct 30, 2023.

1. KMH

KMH New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to reconnect the battery on a 2017 Prius C. I was not the one who disconnected it, so am unsure.

As you know the battery can be accessed from the back seat. It seems quite obvious to simply put the cord in the pic back into the terminal shown but I'm nervous to do something wrong...and the sparks that flew when I touched it to the terminal didn't help!

Thanks for any advice.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, you connect the terminal clamp to the tapered lug on top of the battery.

It will spark a tiny bit due to the load of the dome lights because the door is open. There is also a very small draw from some of the electronics. Either way, that spark is normal and not dangerous as long as you aren't near a gas leak.

Once the clamp is around the post, try to tap it down deeper with the plastic end of a screwdriver or a bit of wood. The lug is wider at the bottom and you want the clamp to get a good bite.

After the clamp is well seated, tighten the nut to secure it. Test by trying to remove the clamp with your hand- you should not be able to move it at all.

Doug McC likes this.