1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recurrent Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alnilam, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I spent five hours last weekend putting the various Zaino products on my car. I wound up with three coats of their "wax." I used all their numbers! My car is white and the results aren't as dramatic as with a red car, but it does seem a lot brighter.

Now it's dirty again! (Any way to prevent that? :blink: ) What's the best washing method and product to get the car clean while doing the least amount of damage to the wax job? (I'd appreciate something I can get locally, not having to order on-line.) How long should the Zaino last and when will I know it's time to devote another afternoon? Any thoughts on drying towels vs. chamois?

When I wash my windows, I always get some smearing even after several tries. The car-wash guys don't. Where am I going wrong? Is it the towels again?

Is Zaino as long lasting and protective as several coats of carnuba? I hope so. I spent a bunch for those bottles! Should I periodically add a coat of Z-2 and Z-6 or just wait for another big day?

Thanks for telling me some things I never cared enough about before, but I finally have a car I like to take care of. It's never too late to learn!

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we use zaino 2x/year on our black prius. that's about how long it takes for the water beading/sheeting action to wear off. with caranuba it took all of 2 months for the water to stop beading. of course, i've accepted with my car that it either gets washed weekly or looks like #$%&. :p

i wash the car with meguiar's gold class car shampoo and a microfiber cloth, then dry with an aqua dry towel.

for windows, i have tint so i wash with a damp cloth only, dry with a dry cloth.

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 12 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]347921[/snapback]</div>
    Merçi, Galaxee!

Shampoo. I wash my hair every day and I'm just now first suspecting that there is a difference between soap and shampoo.... The shampoo doesn't take off the wax while soap (like Dawn) does, right? Is the aqua dry towel a brand name or a type? Where do you get microfiber cloths? I've got a lot of questions, don't I? :unsure:

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For the windows you should be using Invisible Glass . I recommend the spray bottle over the spray can because for some unknown nonsense reason they work better. Spray lightly and wipe with regular paper towels (not the super absorbent shop towels...those are not effective on windows). Remember to continuously flip the paper towels for best results.

5. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I Zaino'd my black Prius and it came up great - like a mirror.
    But noticed that dust and pollen tended to stay - especially by the rear bumper.
    Others here have used REJEX which is supposed to prevent any dirt from clinging to the bodywork ( its used on aircraft wings apparently ).
    It does keep the car nice and shiny though and kinda keeps the dirt from sticking to the paint job.

Makes washing my Prius a breeze - for example I used to have to do it every weekend - now its 2 maybe 3 weeks in between.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 12 2006, 10:56 PM) [snapback]348028[/snapback]</div>
    the "shampoo" is really really thick. so there's something different that's for sure but i don't know what. hey it works. last time i used "soap" which didn't harm the sealant.

aqua dry is a brand name, should be able to find it at your local target, along with the microfiber- in the automotive aisle.

7. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 12 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]348028[/snapback]</div>
    Costco and Target sell microfiber cloths in quantities in Automotive.

8. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    For the windows, try using newspaper to dry them. I don't know why but something about newspaper is really good for drying without streaks.

9. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 12 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]347918[/snapback]</div>
    Only five hours? I washed with Dawn, clay barred, put two coats of #2 on with a coat of #6 in between. The whole process took about 12 hours; had to finish in the garage with less than ideal light. I haven't washed the car since - will use Zaino #7 for that. Like Galaxee I'm hoping for six months of shine before re-applying and will probably put a base of #5 on followed by a couple of coats of #2.

The newspaper for the windows suggestion mentioned by others works like a charm, but I have a four year-old and a seven year-old. I could spend all my time trying to keep the windows smudge free...

10. walroose

walroose New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anyone ever used a Kozak "Dry Wash" cloth or something similar?

http://www.kozak.com/item-kozak_cloth.htm

I am thinking of getting an acryllic sealant finish protection for my car at a detailer, but I noticed that with their teflon sealant package they throw in a package of these cloths.

-M

PS: Anybody have any opinions on acryllic vs. teflon sealant finish protection, except for the $200 difference in price?

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't care for Zaino, but really if I were using Zaino I'd use their wash. Its designed to work with the system.

As far as soaps, Zaino won't come off the paint surface as easily as a carnuaba wax will, so its not that much of a concern. What is a concern is being able to layer more Zaino on top of whats already there, which won't work if theres something on the surface that inhibits the crosslinking and bonding.

What you need to properly wash a vehicle:

1. A nice big bucket (two if its black)

2. A good quality sheepskin or microfiber mitt or sponge (towels don't have deep enough nap for washing)

3. A good drying towel like a waffle weave microfiber.

Pre-rinse, wash from the top down and clean one section at a time rinsing and re-soaping the mitt or sponge as you go.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 13 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]348079[/snapback]</div>
    Invisible Glass is okay, but its hardly what everyone "should" be using. There are many good products out there. I use one called Eagle One 20/20. I don't like the fact that Invisible Glass is a foam.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walroose @ Nov 15 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]349679[/snapback]</div>
    This stuff is BS, all of it. You'll get better protection applying something like Klasse or Zaino yourself at home.

12. stealth162

stealth162 New Member

Try using a product called Smartwax. I had my car professionally detailed ($200) and these are the products they used. I now, knowing what they use and how they do it, wax the car myself. There products are a bit expensive, but not near what you would spend if you paid someone to do it. Check out the regular wax's and then order yourself a bottle of "Smart Detail" and a couple microfiber cloths to wipe the car down now and then. I use the Smart Detail every 3-4 days and spend 5 minutes wiping down the car. It looks incredible and I haven't washed the car in 3 months!

check it out....no I don't work for the company, I just love there stuff.

www.smartwax.com

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is something of a religion, but regular washing with plain old Mr. Clean Autodry and no subsequent waxings has kept my 2004 just as shiny, beady and un-swirled as it was under the initial painstaking wax job. Can't beat it for ease.

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You do need to be waxing the car though Richard. You don't have any protection from any kind of airborne or roadborne contaminants.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mmm, maybe. After 44 months the hood does have a nice collection of little nicks, but it's hard to imagine that wax would have stopped most of them.

I think I will re-wax the roof; it's not beading water as well as it did.

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use Zaino... I've used the #2 wax, the clear seal CS, and I use their Show Car Wash to clean Rudy.

About every 4th or 5th washing, I apply another coat of CS. It's been about 6 months now, and if it were warm enough, I'd do another polishing day, but the beading is still happening, just not as dramatically.