1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recycling of synthetic oils

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kaos1, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Kaos1

Kaos1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Greetings,

I am up to 800 miles on my new Prius and every new vehicle that I've purchased, I've changed the oil in the 500-1000mile range. I always felt that this is important because any irregularities in the machining would wear off quickly and float around in the oil to grind away on other engine parts. As machining technology has advanced, this has probably decreased this concern.

The dealership where I purchased the car gave me a coupon for a free oil change at 1000 miles. That agrees with my philosophy, but I think that I am going to synthetic oil for this car.

I have heard the old saying as far back as the 70's, "lessen our dependence on foreign oil". Synthetics should help in this Endeavour.

I've always shot to change my oil every 3000 miles. I think that it really helps the longevity of the engine. I've a Ford Ranger with over 250,000 miles on it without a single engine related failure.

Now the question:

For those of you who change their own oil and are using synthetic, what do you do with your used oil? It seems a shame to throw it into the vast recycling pool of expired dinosaurs.

Kaos1

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

as there is no dedicated waste stream for synthetic it goes in the dino stream. Sorry to say.