1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Brake, ABS, VSC warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mhcoates, Sep 3, 2006.

1. mhcoates

mhcoates New Member

Yesterday, the red brake, ABS, and VSC lights came on while driving. I pulled over and turned the car (2004 Prius) off. I restarted the engine and the lights were gone. After driving about 4 minutes, they spontaneously reappeared but the brakes seemed fine and the car drove normally. It seems like it must be an electrical short of some kind. It's Labor Day weekend, so I can't get it checked until Tuesday morning. My Prius has only 32000 miles on it and all maintenance is up to date. If this has happened to anyone else, what was the outcome?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple of things could've gone wrong

- it could mean the ABS isn't working (try an emergency brake test for that)
    - it could mean the VSC isn't working (not sure how'd you safely test that)
    - it could also mean one of the hydraulic pumps failed but seeing how you said it seemed to brake fine, this can be ruled out.

The ABS and VSC system are tied together hence the warning lights tend to come on together as well.

3. lifestages

lifestages New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhcoates @ Sep 3 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]313450[/snapback]</div>

I had the same thing happen with my 2004 Prius. I'm sorry to report that my car was at the dealers for over a week while they "called in the regional technician" to help them figure out what was wrong. Ten days later, they identified the problem as a communication error and replaced the part which cost $1800. Then, they called to say that the ABS light was still coming on and so they had to replace the rear passenger wheel sensor. Not sure what the total bill was since I have the extended warranty. Good luck!