1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

red brake warning light and abs light on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shocker, Apr 23, 2008.

1. shocker

shocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 with 80,000 miles. Today was a sunny warm day and when I started my car midday both the red brake warning light and the abs exclamation point stayed on. I checked the manual which contains a very ominous message about not driving and immediately contacting the dealer. I brought it to the dealer and they couldn't figure out what caused it. They pulled the code C1343 which is a rear brake system code but they couldn't figure out what triggered the code. They cleared it and told me to return if it came back on. They said that everything was functioning fine. Has anyone else encountered this?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC C1343 "malfunction in hydraulic system" relates to the right rear wheel. Possible trouble areas include the brake actuator, the wheel cylinder, or leaking fluid. Since they could not find anything wrong with the car, the brake actuator might have had a temporary glitch where a solenoid was stuck.

The brake actuator is an expensive part so the dealer is not eager to replace it unless it has failed for sure. This is why they suggest that you return if you see the warning lights reappear.

The repair manual suggests bleeding the brake system in case any dirt or tiny air bubbles are present, which might affect a solenoid valve.

3. Navi05

Navi05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have similar lights on and I'm getting a blinking pattern of 3 blinks then 5 blinks then 3 and seven for airbags while in a paperclip induced diagnosticmode.
    Then I get 6695 695 twice on the ( ! ) blinking.
    The final code is 42 repeating pattern for ABS light. What can this all mean?:(

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Go someplace like Autozone or OReilly's, have them read the codes, and report back. Oh, and please check your 12V auxiliary battery.

5. Navi05

Navi05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to advanced auto parts and the worker there said he couldn't get the the codes if the engine light wasn't on.

The battery is working like a champ at 13.9v and I've got the optima D51 in it now. I made the mistake of removing the carpeting and seats and all lower panels except for the driver console in search for the culprit and then couldn't get the car to start after I put everything back. I replaced a semi-drained OEM battery only to find out it can still hold its charge after I bought a charger. I removed paneling and seats again and its starting without as usual. I think I may have moved a traction battery cable by accident and made it ground on the chassis as i noticed one was touching the frame and had to force it back up and it started, but thats just my guess as I haven't reinstalled the interior.

Luckily or unluckily my car is one of the recall vehicles and I'll have to take it back for the inverter pump replacement. I have a feeling that the car has been in a minor accident and that could also be the cause.

I'm afraid that toyota wont let me drive my car out of the lot since its got those lights on after I take it in for the inverter pump recall. This is the only car I've got and don't have other options.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There may be some helpful info in this thread. It's probably worth the diag fee to get a definitive answer out of a Techstream scan tool. Toyota cannot keep your car as long as you pay for all services that you have authorized.

7. Noraswati

Noraswati New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help! My emergency brake light and all other lights mentioned won't go off and the dealership is telling me the "part" is $2000! And labor $900. They told me the car is unsafe to drive (so I can't go get another estimate) HELP! I love this car. I bought an extended warranty..can't find it. And they're only guaranteeing this $3000 expenditure for 1 1/2 years! Help!!