1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red ! Icon and Yellow Symbol in MFD = Headlight Height Level Sensor Issue with Pictures

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by blueshift, Jun 9, 2012.

1. blueshift

blueshift Junior Member

Having read a zillion threads to arrive at the root of the issue I thought it might be helpful to create a thread with few pictures to help illustrate the situation.

We have a 2005 package 6 with just over 83K miles on it.

The problem revealed itself as an intermittent big Red ! Triangle icon on the dash followed by a bar across display that says "Problem" which then changes to a little yellow icon that was truly baffling at the beginning of my search. The owners manual offers the helpful advice to take the car to the dealer. This would come and go with no discernible rhyme or reason - sometimes within a few seconds of turning the car on and sometimes just sitting at a traffic light. This is the way the error looked:
    IMG_0769.JPG
    How that little yellow icon is supposed to mean leveling the headlights I don't know!

After reading tons of threads with all kinds of probable causes ranging from failing 12 battery to low oil level to coolant pumps thrown out as a root cause, almost every thread ended with a common cause - failed Headlight Height Level Sensor.

I took mine off for a look and it was beyond help. Removal was simple. Sensor is just in-board of the rear drivers side tire. There are 2 10 mm bolts going into the upper body and 2 more 10 mm nuts holding the lower connecting point to the rear axle. All mine came off without too much fuss. There is one black plug going into rheostat that should also be removed. I found that a pair of regular pliers opened up to their wider notch released the catch clip making the plug easy to remove. After getting the part off the car it disassembled it because from the outside everything looked fine. Just what I would consider normal road grime.

The shocker was what i saw inside:
    IMG_0770.JPG

Two of the 3 springs just disintegrated into pieces with a light touch. Additionally what I didn't show in the picture was that one of the spade lugs was super corroded and broke off in the connector when i removed it. I was gentle so I'm not sure that it was avoidable - i think it was so corroded it just let go. I had to dig that spade part out of the connector which involved a jewelry screwdriver and a tiny tipped pair of pliers. That wasn't as hard as it looked like it would be. There was no cleaning this rheostat out as others have described. :-(

Finally, I called around to a couple of dealers hoping to get it fixed today I was repeatedly getting quoted MSRP of $358.46. The part number is 89408-47010. I found a mention in another thread about Camelback Toyota having the best price. I searched several dealers and it was indeed the best price I could find at $261.61 shipped. Here's a link to the part:
    2005 TOYOTA PRIUS Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts

Hopefully it will come this week. I can also confirm that the car runs fine and the headlights work, but with the sensor disconnected of course the error is there constantly. I taped up the plug end with several layers of electrical tape since i didn't put the failed part back on the car and tucked it up out of the way.

There are many more threads that describe this problem, but most don't have any pictures and there is a lot of speculation as to the root cause. I hope that this helps others!

NN0AA, dianeinreno and nh7o like this.
  2. DaveFromDecatur

DaveFromDecatur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having this same "error" message on my 2004. I have two questions.
    1. Does it need to be fixed? How badly am I going to be blinding other drivers if I just pretend the alarm isn't going off and go about my business? (I have to say, BTW, that a giant red triangle and a loud beep to warn me that the headlight-leveling device is malfunctioning seems really excessive. The first time it went off I thought maybe the transmission was about to fall out or something, till I read the owners manual.)
    2. This has been happening off and on, but more frequently lately, for 6 months or so. Just recently the MFD screen has been failing, not showing information or showing only partial information. A Toyota dealer has told me it needs to be replaced. I'm working on that on another thread, but is there any chance the two could be connected? Maybe something so simple as a failing 12-volt auxiliary battery? I had that replaced two and a half years ago, at no small cost, and I'd hate to do it again so soon, but that's still be way cheaper than fixing both the light leveler and the MFD.
    Thanks for anyone's help. I should add that I'm not at all mechanically inclined, so whatever's wrong, I won't be fixing it myself.

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be able to find a used sensor from an auto recycler (preferably from a southern state) for about $50 that will aim the headlights properly and remove the annoying red triangle and headlight leveling sensor symbol permanently.

The sensor is very easy to replace if you find the exact match. They are periodically available on Ebay. I bought a used one from a Lexus IS SUV.

4. DaveFromDecatur

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, that's helpful. Do you know how important this is to fix? The car seems to think it's a dire calamity. But then, the car thinks I need to be promptly and loudly informed every time the temperature falls below 40 degrees. :)

5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That depends if you want the headlights aimed properly or not. In my case, the headlight beams were pointing too low and I had difficulty seeing when there were no streetlights or signs.

You could live with it but why should you. If you can get a part for $50 and find a friend to help you install it, the problem is solved.

As to the low temperature indicator, yeah it's annoying but what can you do except to stick some black electrical tape over it.

6. DaveFromDecatur

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. So, assuming the light-leveling sensor is really failing (and it's not related to something else), that does in fact affect how the car aims the headlights. Sorry to be a bit dense here.

7. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My headlight leveling sensor failed as well about 3 years ago. Very easy to replace. 2 bolts, 2 nuts and one wire harness plug. The original that came with the car can be opened up, and resealed after cleaning and or replacing the springs and contacts (if needed).
    I had done this twice with my original unit but its eventual failure was due to the loss of mobility and excess rust at its riveted pivot joints on the arm. I bought a new one through Conicelli Toyota (free shipping / tax free) for about $125.00 last year. No problems since. Car now has 160,000 mi. +

In most states the car will not pass inspection with when warning lights are illuminated. In my case, the headlights were aimed high. It seems that the seal on the original units produced by Toyota leaked. Years of water, road salt, etc. corroded the contacts within the housing. I do have pictures taken several years ago of my first repair. I also kept the original unit as I may repair it when I have the time.

8. DaveFromDecatur

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Priusyipee. I hadn't thought about the state inspection, which is coming up soon for me. I'm going to need to get on this. I have to say that this, and an MFD issue I'm working on in another thread, has seriously dented Toyota's high-quality image for me.

9. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem with recycled headlight leveling sensors is that they are subject to the same problems: moisture penetration and corrosion. The newer units sold by Toyota had been improved to eliminate this problem. This is why I replaced mine rather than risk another failure. The last thing I need is to be messing around under the car in -20 degree weather. If you do opt to repair the one that is currently on the your car, there are links to getting the job done.

Unfortunately, the leveling sensor, when no longer functioning will "lock" the headlights in either a high position (blinding oncoming drivers) or a low position (a dangerous situation because the road ahead will not be illuminated properly for you to drive at night).

Although my MFD has not had any problems, I personally know someone who had to replace the MFD on his 2005 Prius two years ago at about 70,000 miles. There was no "fix". He opted for a new unit as he did not have the time or patience to search for a used unit. Personally, I would look for a used MFD.

My only "open" issue is the combination meter - Random outages of the instrument panel,no backup lights, etc. Happened again this morning. Too bad I leave for work LONG before the dealerships open. I'd like this documented at some point as I have read that there is an extended warranty on this item (2004 - 2009) that is VIN specific.

10. Indy Guy

Indy Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two