1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red LED Light on Power Button, Car Still Shifts Into Gear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sarah dunetz, Jan 20, 2013.

1. sarah dunetz

sarah dunetz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 Prius that I bought in October. Haven't had any problems until now. Took a road trip to Reno (from San Francisco), and on the way back, when starting the car (break fully pressed), the power button's LED would light up red. The car, however, still starts, and shifts into gear.

I had read that when the LED button is red, it is in accessory only mode and won't shift into gear. This is not the case, though, since I drove the 4 hours home without problem. We made multiple stops on the way home, and every time the light flashed red, then started as normal.

What is going on? The closest I could find is that perhaps it had to do with the 12V battery, but, who knows, since I'm not getting the red triangle of death light or anything else abnormal.

Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Sarah,

It is normal for the LED on the POWER button to initially be red upon startup, then the LED should turn off when the Prius is READY. If that is what you have noticed, then no worries.

3. sarah dunetz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick,

I really thought it used to be green, but maybe I am just losing my mind.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The power button light on my UK Prius is amber, red, or green dependent on the the mode it is in. In ready mode it is green. This of course could be different on US versions.

John (Britprius).

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius has four possible states. In the US, here is how the LED on the POWER button will appear:

IG-OFF: LED is off. The car is powered down

ACC-ON: LED is green. This is a recommended mode if you wish to listen to your radio while parked, assuming that your 12V battery is in reasonable condition.

IG-ON: LED is red. Avoid leaving the car in this mode for a prolonged period of time as this places a very heavy drain on the 12V battery. You need this mode if you want to raise or lower your power windows, without actually making the Prius READY.

READY: LED is off. The car can be driven in this state.

6. sarah dunetz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone,

I thought that when I placed my foot on the break, and hit power, that it was supposed to be green (and that it used to be green). However, if it is normal for it to be red for a second, then turn off, I am good to go.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On UK version "just been out to car to check" :-

IG-off LED is off

ACC-on LED is amber

IG-on LED is red

READY LED is green

So another difference between US and UK/EU models is discovered by chance.

Patrick Wong and Hasan like this.
  8. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks For that bit of important info regarding differences between the UK and US Prii. Very handy data indeed :)