1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red-light fines to go to (Dallas) police, firefighters

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 13, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ts.3051d8c.html

"Dallas police and firefighters will soon have to pay up if they run afoul of the city's red-light cameras.

Starting Sunday, any Dallas police officer in a marked squad car who is captured on the city's cameras running a red light will have to pay the $75 fine if the incident doesn't comply with state law.

Firefighters who run red lights will have to pay if they're not on an emergency run..."

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I predict you'll see a lot more flashing lights in Dallas.

A woman police officer in Beaverton, Oregon, just west of Portland, is fighting a photo-radar speeding ticket. She cruised through a 25 mph zone at 40 mph while out cruising, not responding to a call, so the city she works for wants to fine her.

I agree that the law enforcement officers should set an example. Ever notice how many sheriffs drive 54 mph on the highway?

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I won't comment about the police here, but it's inexplicable to me that they consider this necessary for the fire department. Emergency vehicle accidents are too common, and one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) sources of liability for fire and EMS. You run a light in my department, you risk losing your job. We even require emergency vehicles running "hot" (i.e., lights and sirens) to stop completely before proceeding through a red light.