1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Traingle with a message that there is a problem with the transmission"P" lock mechanism

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by waddahsunnaa, Mar 10, 2011.

1. waddahsunnaa

waddahsunnaa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a prius 2007 with smart key system. Lately I have this message came up whenever I start the engine : Caution There is a problem with the transmission "P" lock mechanism Park your your car on a flat surface and fully apply the parking brake, with a red traingle. I push the start button again and the engine starts but the red traingle keeps on the screen. I went to workshop and they reset it for two or three times but it keeps jump on after one or two days, they said it just a wrong message kept sending by the sensor on the gear to the computer and they need to check this sensor after uninstall the gear box and check the wires and the senor. I am afraid to let them take down the gear box and break through it. This message does not reflect the power of the car. In sometimes, I keep putting the key of the car in the ignition and take it out for several times after I drive for a while and after that the red triangle disappears.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    That symptom almost always means that you have a discharged 12v battery. Check the 12v battery voltage either with the car off or in ACC mode (Press power without pressing the brake). You can either use a voltmeter ($25 at radio shack) or put your Prius in maintenance mode (see: Checking 12v Battery Health - Hybrid Car Forums ). You probably need a new 12v battery.

JeffD

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the 12V battery now. That will take care of the strange warning msg.

4. HB-Prius

HB-Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same P Lock message. I have to ask Why would I replace my battery. I checked it and with the car off it has 12.74 v. Tha seems like a good battery to me. What am I missing?

5. HB-Prius

HB-Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And I am having this issue with my 2nd Prius, a 2007.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it the original battery? did you check it at the terminals, before starting the car in the morning?

7. HB-Prius

HB-Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the same issue last week. I bought my 2007 on Tuesday and on Thursday I got the red triangle and everything shutdown. I got the "P-lock in the transmission does not work" message and instructions to get on a level surface and apply the brakes. Hard to do when I can't put the thing in reverse or drive. Eventually after a series of turning things off and on, applying parking breaks and pressing various buttons, I go it into gear and drove home, red triangle still lit up. I read some Prius forums and followed the direction to pull the 7.5 amp fuse then put it back, red triangle remained. I checked the battery and it was at 12.74v (car not running) so I knew I did not have a battery problem). Then I removed the negative cable from the battery, cleaned up the cable connections, the terminal and the spot where the cable connects to the body (this had a lot of paint on it that I cleaned off. I sanded it down to the metal. I put the negative cable back on. I disconnected the positive cable from the battery and cleaned that connection up then reinstalled it. I started the car. The red triangle was gone and it has been running fine since (knock on wood).

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did you notice any water in the battery area?

9. Larry Ratso

Larry Ratso New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius and I got the dreaded P-lock mechanism warning but I was able to put the car in neutral and then park and then start it up. I waited a day and went into diagnostic mode and saw that the battery was weak so I brought it into a Toyota dealership and they replaced the battery after checking see it that the charging system was working well and that the battery (5 years old) was weak. I then drove home and the next day when my wife went to start the car I got the dreaded triangle and P-lock warning again. One thing the dealership did find was evidence of rodent activity under the hood. Can it be that the rodents chewed through some wires that are causing the error message to reappear despite having a brand new battery?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's certainly a possibility. You didn't mention anyone checking the trouble codes/freeze frame data from the transmission control ECU before trying the battery-replacement route. If the diagnostic information points to possible wiring damage, that would be more evidence toward the rodent idea. In any case, getting the data would be the next step ... it will point somewhere.

Out of curiosity, what voltage did you see in diagnostic mode at the time you concluded the battery was weak?

-Chap