1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle & 0351-0354 - After cleaning throttle body and checking plugs. (scan gauge photos)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vanillagorilla, Jan 28, 2019.

1. vanillagorilla

vanillagorilla New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!
    Long time reader, first time poster. :)
    High mileage (225k+) 2008 Prius. Was misfiring cyl 1+2 and had codes that reflected. Spark plugs were replaced about a year ago, so I just replaced the coil packs. Didn't improve it, but didn't make it worse. Same codes came back. Ran a tank of Royal purple and still codes persisted.

Googled and found that the throttle body could be dirty. It was, so I cleaned it up with throttle body cleaner. And since I was in there, I decided to check the plugs. They weren't bad, but had deposits on them. I cleaned them up and put them back in.

During this period I was thinking of checking the pcv valve, but I was running out of daylight, so I put it back together. Clipped ignition coil pack wires back on, and clipped fuel injector leads back on as well.

Put the filter housing back on and put the car back like it was.

Tried starting the car, and it sounded rough and only ran for about 5 seconds and then turned off.

Got the red triangle, "Problem" on MFD with red car with exclamation on it, abs light, vsc light, and engine light.

Scan gauge says P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354.

Thought maybe I didn't torque the plugs enough, so I took it all apart and checked that and put it back together. Same result.

Took it all apart to see if I missed something, and put back together, same result.

Looked at this morning in the daylight, same result.

Went and bought new plugs, same result.

Switched out 2 coil packs, same result.

Battery voltage is right at 12v.

I'm not sure what to do next. I've googled this all over the place.
    Please help. :-(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you may need a prius aware scanner. could you have sprayed too much cleaner in the throttle body?

SFO likes this.
  3. vanillagorilla

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is possible. I did most of it on a cloth and on a brush, but I did spray some directly on the flap a few times to help break down the stuff on the edges that I couldn't reach.

I've read today that too much is not a good thing.

What's the next step?
    Would that cause the P0351-4 error codes?

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Priuschat!!

Like @bisco mentioned above, its possible that you aren't getting all the available DTCs with your current OBD2 scanner.

Did you properly clean the MAF Sensor with MAF cleaner after cleaning out the TB?

Did you first switch the COPs around to see if the misfire(s) followed, or only replaced the coils hoping that would solve the thrown DTCs?

It appears you have a rather high LTFT (long term fuel trim) of +13.3%, which leads me to think the coil packs were fine all along (or still usable) and the actual problem may lie with the fuel injectors.

Here are some pointers that might help : "Running too lean – High positive fuel corrections can be traced to MAF and O2 sensor faults, vacuum leaks from intake gaskets/hoses, unmetered air (intake snorkel leak), clogged or dirty fuel injectors, fuel delivery issues, and exhaust restrictions such as a clogged catalytic converter."

First look for any air/vacuum leaks, then clean the MAF sensor with a suitable MAF cleaner. After cleaning the MAF, disconnect the 12v battery for 10 mins to clear the "Keep Alive Memory (KAM)" and try restarting the vehicle again.

Once the vehicle is running again we can move on fixing the known DTCs.

Here is the workup for DTCs P0351,P0352, P0353, P0354 :

https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/repair%20manual/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip0351.pdf

Please report back here with any updates (y)

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. vanillagorilla

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    Thanks for the detailed reply.
    I did not check/clean the MAF. I will do that tomorrow.

I did pull the COP to see if I could tell which was throwing it, but I couldn't determine accurately as it kind of sounded band regardless. I did not swap them around.

I did sense the fuel injectors to be the problem from the get go as well.

Other than searching for disconnected or cracked hoses, I'm not quite sure how else to detect for leaks. All of the youtube videos that I've seen require the car to be running. I can't get this vehicle to stay running past the 5 seconds of startup. I did find a video of a guy blowing cigar smoke into a hose and tracing where the smoke goes. Any tips with this would be appreciated.

Thanks for the PDF as well. I saw bits and pieces of that online. Some of that is beyond me, but I'll do my best to work through it.

I should add that the spark plugs definitely had gas on them, and I could smell gas after the attempts to start the car.

Jason

SFO likes this.
  6. vanillagorilla

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there such a thing as the Golden Dumbass award?:ROFLMAO:o_O:whistle:
    @SFO or @bisco

Turns out that cylinder 3 coil pack connector was flipped over and essentially plugged in backwards.

I had just cleaned the MAF and checked for any leaks or tubes disconnected. Was going to go to the back of the engine to see if anything was disconnected and creating an air leak.

I disconnected the fuel injectors and was beginning to unplug the ignition coil packs when I saw it. No plastic tab to press in. It was upside down.

Put it all back together and it started up. A little rough, but it started.

I took it for a drive down the street and out on to the freeway. Prior to the freeway, I noticed it was idling high when I pulled up to an intersection. The idle would go down a little when I put my foot on the accelerator.

It drove fine on the freeway, but when I exited, it was inconsistently idling high. Fluctuating a little.

I drove it back home and turned it off. I turned it back on and let it run. It started normally, but still a little rough. Sounds like it is still misfiring a little.

Going to let it sit for a bit and see what a cold start is like.

I know it'll be a few days before the codes come back.

Thanks!
    (y)

SFO and bisco like this.
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which brand/part# of spark plugs are you using?

After resetting the 12v battery, the MFD will show a default of 50% for the HV battery, leading you to believe its still at a 50% charge.

Don't try to start the vehicle too many times, you will deplete the HV battery (which turns over the engine) and cause a new problem.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. vanillagorilla

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Denso Iridium SK16R11
    I've driven the car for about 45 minutes over 20 miles at all speeds.
    Too late. :) I already did that, but now it runs.

Waiting for any codes to repopulate over the next couple of days. So far nothing.
    I did purchase the bluetooth ELM scan tool and should receive that tomorrow. I will report back with any more screenshots.

In regards to the LTFT number, I observed it to be over 15% this afternoon.
    I do have the fuel injectors to install if you think that would be beneficial.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

SFO likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seriously? my wife invented that award, and i was the first to receive it. :p

vanillagorilla likes this.
  10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you were thinking about returning them I would just replace them. Then at least you know that’s not the problem.

11. vanillagorilla

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those of you that are still interested...

The codes came back today.
    Random Misfire
    Cylinder 1 Misfire
    Cylinder 2 Misfire

I plan on replacing the fuel injectors when I can make time.

I will report back my findings.

Jason

Raytheeagle, SFO and bisco like this.
  12. hesty24

hesty24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am not understanding "Turns out that cylinder 3 coil pack connector was flipped over and essentially plugged in backwards". I cannot for the life of me figure out what you mean by this. Sorry I guess I am just dumb when it comes to automotive. I am only asking so that I do not ever make the same mistake as I am not that inclined with automotive speak. I did get my coil packs out, but could only see them going back in one way with a bolt to secure it. Are we speaking of the same item here? Thanks in advance.

SFO likes this.
  13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He was talking about the electrical connector that you plug into the coil. He somehow managed to plug it in upside down.

SFO likes this.