1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle 200 Miles After Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Meadus, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Meadus

Meadus New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Been researching this for a week, but haven't been able to fix the problem, so sorry for the repetition.

Took our 2005 Prius to an oil change shop when the maintenance light popped at around 201,000 miles and had the oil changed, standard 5w30 stuff. Afterward I found they had uncovered the 12V battery in the back and didn't put the cover on. Cables were on tight. Drove it a little then left it parked for a week while on vacation. Came back, drove it a bit, then my wife took it to work where it sat for 3 days.

When she got back and started it, the display had Red Triangle, Check Engine, ABS, VSC. To be safe we had the car towed home even though it sounded and drove normal onto the flatbed. After a week of researching, I checked the oil level and it was half an inch or so over the max dot. Popped the MAF sensor out, it was caked, then looked down the throttle body to see oil in the intake. Residue on the butterfly valve doesn't looks built up over time. At that time I used my OBDII reader and pulled codes P0A80 and P3000.

Fearing the overfill was the trigger, I took it back to the same shop, acted dumb, and said they listed 5 quarts on my invoice and the manual says 3.9qt, to which he replied Prius' need 4.5qt and he proceeded to pull the fault codes, then said our hybrid battery needs to be replaced. It could be a coincidence, but it just seems odd. Being a bit peeved at his deflecting response, I drove the car home and drained close to a quart of oil to get it just under the max fill dot. Then got MAF cleaner and shined up the MAF sensor and cleaned out the butterfly valve and intake. I reset the codes with my OBDII reader but after starting the car again, they quickly came up, and now I have two more. In total I am getting codes P0102, P0113, P0A80, P3000.

I had to go to work so I left the car in that state. 1) I didn't drive the car anywhere after resetting the codes. Turned it off, then on, and codes showed again. Should I pull the battery cable to reset it? Is it possible they would have tried to disconnect the hybrid battery instead to reset the maintenance light? 2) Should I drive the car a bit and THEN reset the codes?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The overfill didn’t cause the battery issue, the fact the car is 17 years old is the cause of the battery failure. Just a coincidence it happened around the same time

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The two extra codes, P0102 and P0113, refer to the mass airflow and the intake air temperature, which are combined in one sensor unit. Since you had that out to clean it, and seeing both of those codes, I would double check that its electrical connection was reattached completely.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    you uncover battery under cover the big one. Undo the orange plug take off cover . Look at all the nuts n bars joining the cells they look like their covered in frost ... that’s corrosion . Now you need battery services .. save your heartaches go online toyota in your area buy the new battery for like 1650 NEW . Go another 20 . .. or don’t.. good luck . Just did same in 09 . This is after you go through the testing discussing procrastinating etc .

5. Meadus

Meadus New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the input! I’ll double check around the intake to make sure I put everything back correctly. Check with Toyota for pricing. Thought I assume now it’s at peak price for anything car related. Had been looking to trade in and get a new car anyway, but the timing is, of course, not ideal.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So infuriating that oil change places are entirely ignorant of oil capacity of Prius engines. I always put 3.5 quarts in and add more later once it gets low. But if I were you I'd go to owner of oil change place and show them engine specs that clearly state 3.9 quarts of oil and explain to them that they're fouling Prius engines and document it via Better Business Bureau so future victims know this oil change place is irresponsible.

As for the hybrid battery pack, as the pack ages it loses capacity and voltages start to become unbalanced, which is likely source of your red triangle. You can restore that capacity and get more years of life out of it by deep cycling the battery several times. As in drain the voltage with light bulbs then recharge and balance with a high voltage trickle charger. You can learn about this here: BU-807: How to Restore Nickel-based Batteries - Battery University and here: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) | Hybrid Automotive

And if you want to save a ton of money you can build your own equipment here: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gen 3 takes 4.5 quarts. That's where the mixup lies with these places

8. Meadus

Meadus New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Very interesting! Thanks for this solution. If I can get this thing to last until the summer at least it would help a lot.

I have an alternate car fortunately so I will take some time this weekend to deep cycle the battery and see if I can’t get things back to moderate working order. The engine itself doesn’t have any serious issues so endgame would be to get it ready for sale.

Did this come about as a solution for your car or just by popular demand? It’s the first I’ve heard of doing maintenance on Prius batteries, but I’m glad to see there is something else besides R&R.

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another day, another new thing I learned about that they changed between Gen2 and Gen3 that they didn't need to change... And when I once did an oil change on a Gen4 plugin it seemed to have less oil capacity than Gen3 and used the same oil filter as Gen2. So wacky!

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, Gen 3 upsized the engine compared to Gen 2.

My owners' manual says 4.4 though, for a drain/refill with filter change.

qts.png

11. Meadus

Meadus New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for sharing this. Interesting that this is why it gets mixed up. Reminds me of the dangers of complacency. When I used to work at shops we always referenced our computer software to get the oil and filter specs. It doesn't surprise me some shops don't. I will be giving that shop a call about it, even though I'm sure the guy will be arrogant.

Now after all this, if I do keep the car, I'll make sure overfilling doesn't happen again. All the poor Prius' out there drowning in oil!