1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle, ABS, VSC, Battery fan kicks on, transaxle "slippage"!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rubbrchicken, Jul 9, 2015.

1. rubbrchicken

rubbrchicken New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all! This is my first time posting, but I've been using posts for the past month to try to troubleshoot this problem.

I have replaced a bad module in the HV battery and balanced it. Inverter coolant pump has been checked and inverter coolant has been replaced. Engine coolant has been drained and refilled. (Both coolant jobs followed Haynes manual guide including bleeder valves.) Transaxle fluid is full.

After each step of troubleshooting I have done a test-drive. Warnings come on consistently within 2-2.5 miles, day or night. I do not have a scan tool, but I do have the trouble codes from Toyota (all prior to my repairs). Is it possible that a bad ECT sensor could trigger all of this?? Is there something else I can check?

Toyota codes:
    P3000-123 Battery control system
    P0A80
    P3021
    P1118
    C1259
    C1310
    U0073 (? couldn't read the first letter very well) control Moudule Communication Bus OFF
    B1801 open in "D" squib circuit
    B1248 AVC-Lan comm impossible

All of this occurred suddenly a couple months ago. The car has been sitting ever since. The consistency of the problem leads me to believe it is a sensor related issue, but the massive span of codes is way beyond me!! :)

Thanks!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! how many miles on her?

3. rubbrchicken

rubbrchicken New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was the car in an accident? It appears that besides the traction battery problem, you also have a problem with the wiring to the driver's airbag or the SRS ECU has failed. Further, there is a problem between the audio unit and the gateway ECU.
    Get Mini VCI so that you can determine what the current DTC are. You need this to understand whether the work you are doing is helping or not.

#4 Patrick Wong, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  5. rubbrchicken

rubbrchicken New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Patrick,

The airbag light has come and gone the whole time I've owned the car. The radio works fine, so I'm not sure what that issue could be related to. The car wasn't in an accident recently, but it does have some front-end damage.

I ordered the mini VCI, I'll rescan as soon as it comes in. Thanks!!!

6. rubbrchicken

rubbrchicken New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone,

I got the mini VCI, and now I'm having trouble getting the software installed and working... :/ TIS Key won't work and MVCI Driver installer quits before finishing. ...try, try again, right??

I'll check back in tomorrow!!

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't worry about TISKey, you shouldn't need it. What machine are you installing it on? Win XP (+SP2 or SP3) 32-bit or Win 7 32 bit works most reliably. Read through the following TundraTalk thread and follow the install procedure:

Techstream ABCs and 123s: Reference point for all new users

Hope that helps.

#7 dolj, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  8. fundguy

fundguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last month I had the red triangle/hybrid car symbol on screen/and small orange symbol on dash, the big batt.cooling fan was running fine, it came on 100 miles away(bottom of "Salt River Canyon" drive, no kidding, I drove it in to Phoenix, it ran fine, but lights on and me/wife nervous they told me my battery fan filter was dirty and replaced the whole fan unit assembly,(more likely a sensor in the unit) there has been a lot of that on this post and I keep a clean car, might not apply to you. Dave

9. fundguy

fundguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea sorry, my story does not apply to you...best wishes. Dave

10. rubbrchicken

rubbrchicken New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks dolj! Trying that now, I'll keep you posted!