1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle and check engine light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FirstFlight, Mar 26, 2011.

1. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my infinite wisdom of tinkering, I managed to set off the red triangle and check engine light. I must have touched wires together near the engine computer behind the glove box.

When it happened, the engine stalled. After I isolated all of the wires, the car ran fine but the two warning lights are still on. Everything seems to be working like it should now.

Two questions.

1. If the car is running fine now, even with the lights on, does that mean it MAY be okay?

2. Other than a scangauge (which I am thinking of purchasing now), is there any other way to clear the codes?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2. Disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal cable where it connects to the body for 5 minutes, then reconnect.

1. After doing #2, if you can make the Prius READY without seeing any warning lights on and there are no driveability issues, then you can assume the Prius is OK.

3. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is this in the back at the battery itself or in the engine compartment?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The negative terminal cable is located in the right-rear corner of the hatch, along with the 12V battery.

An alternative approach is to disconnect the positive battery cable where it bolts to the dedicated jumpstart terminal, at the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter.

5. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to go do this just now and there are no warning lights on my car. I guess there must be some type of check where if it doesn't see the problem a few times in a row, it will clear the warning light. I assume the DTC is still logged.