1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle and yellow circled exclamation warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by David Spink, Dec 5, 2014.

1. David Spink

David Spink New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    so sometimes the car will not start and i will get the Red Triangle and yellow circled exclamation warning. I can only put it into neutral.

if I do get it started, when i am driving the Red Triangle and yellow circled exclamation warning will pop up.

I noticed the cruise control function will not work and also the clock always resets and is never correct.

One shop basically could not figure it out so they wanted to replace main hybrid battery. 6 months ago I had a new main hybrid battery put in. I call the guy who put it and he looked at it. sure enough the main battery was fine.

so my guy, one who installed new main battery, tells me to disconnect the negative battery terminal located on the 12 volt battery in the trunk, wait 5 minutes and reconnect. sure enough car starts and runs ok. however, a day later i still keep getting the warnings. so i just keep disconnecting and reconnecting the negative terminal in back to get car to work again. Warnings are happening more and more frequently.

Any ideas? I think maybe the 12 volt battery in trunk needs to be replaced or maybe the cables?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably the battery. how old is it?

3. David Spink

David Spink New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I last changed out the 12v battery around 2 years ago maybe 1 1/2

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  5. David Spink

David Spink New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just checked the 12volt battery using the display menu and it is not the problem.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Then you need to get fault codes read by Toyota hybrid capable scanner. If you want to do it yourself get techstream. Post codes here and probably somebody can help you.

7. David Spink

David Spink New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ok. I will get techstream probably. Thanks for your help!

8. David Spink

David Spink New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    can you provide a link for the one I need? there are all these options and i have no idea the difference between different ones.

I have a 2005 prius.

9. David Spink

David Spink New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    i forgot i already have codes from the initial shop i took it to. they got codes p0a0d and P0AA6. they told me it all lead back to the main battery but the main battery is fully charged. just got a new one 6 months ago.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0A0D means that the orange traction battery interlock switch is not properly installed. This is on the left side of the traction battery case. When the switch is installed, the lever is pivoted 90 degrees. Then the lever is slid down to lock it in place.

Check that switch.

11. David Spink

David Spink New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ok Thanks. will do and i will let you know if that fixes it.

12. David Spink

David Spink New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    what is P0AA6? My wife said she saw the word transaxle appear by some of the warning lights. I thought i saw that this code might be the trans axle/ transmission going out. i hope this is not the case as it sounds very expensive to fix.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P0AA6 means your car has a high voltage ground fault. This fault could be caused by any component exposed to high voltage: traction battery, traction battery ECU, battery cable, inverter, transaxle - depending upon the three-digit info code.

First see if you can take care of P0A0D. After that is resolved then see if P0AA6 persists. If it does then you need to have the DTC read by your local Toyota dealer. Or buy Mini VCI so you can retrieve the DTC yourself.

14. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What does that mean, exactly ?
    What display menu and what leads you to believe that it is OK ??
    Without further evidence, I think it still sounds like a low battery or loose connections or maybe the charging converter isn't working right.
    I think some actual voltage readings are needed before you completely pass over the 12 V system.