1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle - Battery Fan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by twinkle-toes, Jun 30, 2021.

1. twinkle-toes

twinkle-toes New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (Sorry if this thread is repetitive, I'm new to this forum and had trouble sifting through threads to find an answer....)

I cleaned my battery fan the other day. Basically, I disconnected power from the battery, cleaned it, and plugged it back in.

I did NOT disconnect the 12V battery before unplugging the fan. I forgot this step. Will it cause issues?

I also do not have a code scanner to remove the code. The red triangle is appearing on the dashboard.

To check for air flow - I turned the car on the other day, and put a piece of paper against the air intake on the backseat. There was no suction coming from the intake. Is this a reliable method of checking for air flow?
    Does this mean the fan is turned off? Is it not working? Does the red triangle indicate that there is no signal to the fan to start cooling?

Is it possible to remove the code without any special tools? If not, I will take it into the shop to have it removed.

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fan is rarely used so it needs to be turned on to check to see it it works, which can be done with most apps for Prius... Also get an OBD2 code reader and use Dr. Prius app to read error code. Here's buyer's guide: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

In the meantime disconnect 12v battery for a few minutes to see how long it takes for warning lights/code to come back after its been cleared.

twinkle-toes likes this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not unplugging the 12V battery should not be a problem.

You unplugged the fan, but did you plug it back in? Sorry to ask, but sometimes simple things can be overlooked.

Did you do the 3rd step below? It should have clicked when it locked in place?
    Prius safety Interlock.jpg

#3 dolj, Jul 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    twinkle-toes likes this.