1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle but no errors?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Pluupy, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Pluupy

Pluupy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2005 Prius #6 with 220k miles. Second owner.

So for a few months now my Prius will occasionally give the red triangle a while after you start it and then say "problem" on the navigation. The error icon is just a "go to dealer" icon. Figured it was harmless but out of curiousity decided to join this forum.

I looked around the forums for topics about red triangles. Saw a lot of varying answers. Decided to buy a mini VCI to see what error code the car is experiencing.

I installed v7 techstream and the mvci drivers on my laptop. These are the errors I pulled using the Techstream health check:

Engine and ECT:
    P0171
    System Too Lean (bank 1)

ABS/VSC/TRAC:
    C1241
    Low Battery Positive voltage or abnormally high positive voltage
    C1242 Open circuit in IG1/1G2 power source circuit

Air Conditioner:
    B1421 Solar sensor circuit (passenger side) present​

I'm not sure what any of these mean. The car operates just fine besides needing a new muffler. We just had the oil changed. It needs a tire rotation according to the navigation maintenance info screen.

My brother, prior to my buying of the mvci cable, said he pulled some codes (from the navigation?) and reset them for some reason. He said he called the dealer and told them the code he saw. They said it was very important we go to them and replace the hybrid battery, that it would cost $5000. This doesn't make sense to me since the hybrid control or hv battery didn't report any error codes in Techstream, and it's been a week since he did that.

My mom and I drive the car as usual. Still curious what the problem is.

#1 Pluupy, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whatever codes your brother pulled, should be known.

A failed battery would have a specific code, it's not guess work

If your triangle does not come on after your recent oil change, it can mean you were low on oil before the oil change. Check the oil levels and don't let it get low

valde3 likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might want to look at the historical codes in Techstream. Something could set a code, and then go away leaving the red triangle still ON. Several power cycles (5?) will clear the red triangle when the original problem goes away.

System too lean suggests a dirty throttle body. Simple job to clean it.

The solar sensor code is present on just about every Gen2 Prius. Ignore it.

The ABS/VSC/TRAC codes do sound important. Perhaps a dragging rear brake or marginal 12V battery.

Nothing you've mentioned suggests any problem with the traction battery. I'm sure the dealer would love to sell you one, but none of those codes have anything to do with it.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And $5000 for a new HV battery is way too much. Lots of threads here on your options. $2000 for the battery and $500 installation seems to be about the best deal for a new, good for another 150,000 miles battery.