1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle, call slips into neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SamusAran, Jul 9, 2017.

1. SamusAran

SamusAran New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Over the weekend I was driving about 65mph when my ac stopped blowing cold air. During the same drive the red triangle appears will the VSC symbol, and the check engine light. Then every few minutes the emergency brake light would come on along with a long high beep. During the beep the car would throw itself into neutral, and I'd have to wait for the beeping to stop before it would allow me to put it back into drive.

I'm taking it to a mechanic first thing Monday morning. Also, I bought a brand new 12V battery just a few months ago. I've seen identical symptoms on others on this forum before, but I haven't seen that anyone found a solution. If anyone has any experience with my set of problems I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Did you hear the hybrid battery fan going full blast in the rear right seat area?

It sounds like your hybrid battery has gone south.

2006 Gen2
    2014 Gen3 v wagon

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like your inverter pump failed. If after you let the car sit 5 hours and your ac works again, then that is most likely the problem

fotomoto likes this.
  4. SamusAran

SamusAran New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure if the battery fun was going full blast. I had to roll the windows down on account of the ac not working so it was pretty loud in there. I've heard a bad hybrid battery is worst case scenario. Any idea on repair costs for a 2008? It's got 147,000 miles on it.

The ac problem had been going on for about a week. It works for about 25 mins then it goes hot. If the car sits for a couple of hours, then the ac works for the first 25 mins again.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a failed inverter pump. The ac working when the car cools and shuts down after you drive 25 minutes is a pretty good indication of the pump failure

6. SamusAran

SamusAran New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll look into that first thing thanks for your help, JC91006!

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    With the car in ready mode, check the inverter coolant tank for turbulence and/or feel the hose for flow. If none, the pump is out.