1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle, circle with !, ABS and check engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tobalt, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Recently, driving from work, I got the Red Triangle, yellow circle with !, yellow check engine, and yellow ABS light come on. Car seemed to behave alright. Drove it home and turned the car off. When I start the car again, only the red triangle and check engine lights are on. Taking the car to the dealer tomorrow. 73k miles on it so far. Any ideas on what could have happened?

On a related note, I had earlier in the day filled up the tank only to 4 gallons because it was El Cheapo gasoline, and only needed enough to drive home since I was running low. Could this possibly be the culprit?

Also, any help on how to check for the error codes I keep hearing about? What screen, etc?

2. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Recently, driving from work, I got the Red Triangle, yellow circle with !, yellow check engine, and yellow ABS light come on. Car seemed to behave alright. Drove it home and turned the car off. When I start the car again, only the red triangle and check engine lights are on. Taking the car to the dealer tomorrow. 73k miles on it so far. Any ideas on what could have happened?

On a related note, I had earlier in the day filled up the tank only to 4 gallons because it was El Cheapo gasoline, and only needed enough to drive home since I was running low. Could this possibly be the culprit?

Also, any help on how to check for the error codes I keep hearing about? What screen, etc?

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tobalt @ Sep 13 2007, 05:04 PM) [snapback]512166[/snapback]</div>
    You can get them from whoever services your car, or you can purchase a device for reading them (like a ScanGuage). As far as I know the codes are not available from any where on the MFD screen in the Prius.

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tobalt @ Sep 13 2007, 05:04 PM) [snapback]512166[/snapback]</div>
    You can get them from whoever services your car, or you can purchase a device for reading them (like a ScanGuage). As far as I know the codes are not available from any where on the MFD screen in the Prius.

5. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    what you describe is exactly what mine did when I ran out of gas, it still seemed to drive alright and about 3 or 4 miles down the road it died. After putting gas in it, all the warnings slowly started disappearing, but after about 5 miles they finally all completely went away on their own.

6. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tobalt @ Sep 13 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]512166[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you didn't put the gas cap back on securely, and it's causing an emissions systems check failure... It usually shuts off the hybrid system at that point and puts up all the lights you mentioned. I used to have this happen all the time on my Civic Hybrid. Try re-securing the gas cap and most of the lights should go off, except for the check engine light, and the hybrid system should start working again. The check engine light should also go off after a few more drives. If not, definitely take it in.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To summarize: before taking it to a dealer, go fill it up with gas (don't top off!) and then make real sure that the gas cap is on correctly and tight (turn it until it clicks a few times). Drive it around a couple days and see whether all the warnings go away.

8. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Sep 19 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]515023[/snapback]</div>

Well an update. When the lights came on, the car was still on and didn't have a problem driving it home. When I pulled into the garage, I turned off the car, and turned it back on. Only the Red Triangle and check engine lights were on. Double checked the gas cap, and it was clicking after the first turn. Filled the car up, and eventually the lights went away after a few more on/off sequences.

9. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yay! Glad that's all it was.

10. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update:

The same lights came on yesterday. And correction on the error lights, they were the triangle, yellow brake warning, check engine, and the VSC, not the ABS. Took the car to the Toyota service shop today, and they just called to inform me the car needed a new water pump for the inverter. They said the car had a slew of errors, but apparently the culprit seems to be the water pump. Estimated cost with labor is about $375. They're keeping the car, since they don't have one currently. Estimated time is Wed afternoon the car will be fixed and good to go.

11. turtleguybri

turtleguybri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize this thread is a few years old, but I am having the exact same problem as Tobalt. I took it into the dealer but they said there were no error codes and that everything was fine. The light goes on and off, it seems to come on when I am on the freeway, it goes off randomly after a day or so.
    I don't trust the dealer as this problem suspicouly occured just after a routine maintenance service done by them.
    Any suggestions on where to get a device to check the error codes myself? I live in Hawaii.

I have about 65K miles.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Red Triangle, circle with !, ABS and check engine

Please be specific regarding which light (or lights) is coming on.

If you have the same lights: master warning light and brake/ABS lights, then it is possible that your inverter coolant pump has failed. When the inverter overheats, this will cause voltage on the 12V bus to sag. The skid control ECU is particularly sensitive to this, and will turn on the various brake warning lights.

If you wish to purchase an OBD-II code reader, buy one that is compliant with Toyota CAN. However there's no guarantee that it will retrieve all DTC logged by the many Prius ECUs.

mclchu and dave77 like this.