1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

red triangle light, VSC, tire pressure, and check light on. Cruise setting does not work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike Hunter, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Mike Hunter

Mike Hunter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought my Toyota Prius about 3 months. First time I change the engine oil for this car at Jiffy lube and I replace with platinum synthetic oil. After I changing the oil for a week, my has red triangle light, VSC, tire pressure, and check light on. I can not use my cruise setting.My hybrid battery show on the LCD screen charge full very quick and it show the battery is fully charged all the time. When I drive my car for about 15 minutes, it cannot be accelerated and it run like very slow. When it happened, in the LCD screen, the battery was not being charged and did not supply the power to the engine. Then, I had to stop my engine and start the engine again. Then, it run like normally and after about 15 minutes, it run very slow. I feel very sad about this and I think I will need to replace my hybrid battery and transmission. As I am a college student, I do not have that much money to fix my car and buy another car. If anyone have idea, please advice me

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! sounds like a bad battery cell. if you don't have money, i would get a mini vci and an old laptop, identify the cell(S) and learn how to dismantle the pack. all the best!(y)

3. Mike Hunter

Mike Hunter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your comment makes me feel better and I can breath now. As long as my transmission is still good, I can effort to replace the new battery cell.
    Thanks for advice Bisco.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    someone that feels relieved to hear they have a bad battery pack.....that's a first

Anyways, that car might be burning oil, check the dip stick often and see how much it burns. Add oil if needed. Also Jiffy lube charges way too much money for a synthetic oil change. Just do it yourself and save some much needed college money.

If you choose to continue using Jiffy lube, you can just use their regular oil service and do more frequent changes (it'll be the same since the synthetic is more than double the cost)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mike Hunter

Mike Hunter New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks a lot :)

7. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Slow Down ! You have no idea what is wrong with your car until you get the codes read. Bisco told you to get a Mini VCI cable and you need a Windows laptop to run it. Then you will know what is wrong with your car. The Mini VCI cables can be bought on Amazon or Ebay. Try to find a US based seller. It will save you a lot of shipping time.

Brad

8. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As others have said, get the code reader to find out what is setting off the check engine light first. Also, open the hood and look at the inverter coolant reservoir to see if there is movement of the fluid in there. Your issues sound a lot like the exact problem my wife had on a trip with my '07 and it turned out to be a failed inverter coolant pump which leads to the inverter overheating and shutting down the car. She mentioned the cruise didn't work either at the time.

I'm not saying it isn't a battery cell, but always good to check the things that are easier to check first. (especially if you don't have a code reader at the moment).