1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle, loud fan, HV battery not charging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by random_username, Jul 16, 2023.

1. random_username

random_username Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted in the main Gen II forum trying to find a Prius mechanic local to me so I can get the proper codes to diagnose my issue (New Orleans area mechanic or Techstream owner? | PriusChat), but I figured I'd lay out the problem here and see if anyone has any advice for what I can try on my own in the mean time. Any guidence would be MUCH appreciated!

Background:

So I left my 2005 w/ 228,000 mi sitting for 2 months without much shade in the Louisiana heat and I'm afraid I may have damaged the HV battery. Stupid, I know, but this is my first Prius and only my second car, so I'm just now finding out about trickle chargers and the potential of the car getting too hot while parked.

The Problem:

- Red Triangle, Check Engine light, and an orange exclamation point in a circle with parenthesis (ABS?).

- HV fan is always on HIGH when in Ready Mode.

- The display shows the HV battery not charging. (Stays on one purple bar.)

The scanner at AutoZone pulled these codes...
    - C1241: Low Power Supply Voltage Malfunction https://www.autocodes.com/c1241_toyota.html
    - C1259: HV System Regenerative Malfunction https://www.autocodes.com/c1259_toyota.html
    - C1310: Malfunction In HV System https://www.autocodes.com/c1310_toyota.html

From what I understand, this is likely incomplete information.

What I've tried so far...

The 12 volt was dead from sitting, and wouldn't hold a charge, so I replaced it.

(BTW, since I've had the car, the 12v has always read a few volts lower than it's supposed to with IG off or IG on, but just fine when it's in Ready Mode. It never threw any codes, so I didn't think much of it. However I just noticed something now when I reconnect the battery. I'll connect the positive terminal first, then when the negative side makes contact with the ground, it sparks. Does that mean something is drawing current that isn't supposed to while the car is off? Or is that normal?)

2. Disconnecting the 12 volt clears the lights and the above issues go away for about 20 min, then it all comes back.

3. Decided to check the HV fan. I had driven through the desert last summer and it was CAKED in dirt/dust, so I cleaned it.

4. Checked the HV battery case and chunks of the caked dirt had made it's way onto the battery too :eek:. Vacuumed it the best I could and thoroughly wiped out all the plastic ducts.

Visually inspected all the connections and fuses I could think of. Didn't notice anything weird.

(People have reported leaks in the back hatch on this model leading to wire corrosion, but it's rained pretty hard a few times this last week, and everything has stayed dry as far as I can tell.)

My worry is that 3 and 4 weakened the HV battery and it sitting for 2 months in the heat killed it, but I'm holding out hope it's something simpler/less expensive. Maybe if I'm lucky, I can find someone to help replace a just a few of the cells and that'll fix it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) the inverter supplies the voltage with the car ready, so you're not getting the battery voltage.
    there is always a draw from the computers with the car off, and some systems run from time to time, so spark is no problem.

dealer would be able to read the detailed codes with tech stream

#2 bisco, Jul 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The archaic 1980's design of Nickel-based batteries that Toyota won't move on from lose their charge (self-discharge) when they sit for a long time. And in older pack some cells will discharge faster than others, which has lead to lack of charge and lack of balance.

Fortunately this is an easy fix. You simply hook up a high voltage trickle charge to the hybrid battery and get the fan going and charge and balance it for 24 hours or so.

Maxx Volts and Prolong sell consumer products that are easy to use, but expensive. Or you can build your own for $100: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat