1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle, Multiple Codes, Battery Fan not spinning P3000, P0A84, C1259, C1310, C2318

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alembic42, Oct 26, 2019.

1. alembic42

alembic42 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Please help! for the last few months I've had the Red Triangle and these codes. The little bit of help i have received so far leads me to believe the Hybrid Control ECU is failing and needs replaced. I really don't know and would LOVE some help on this!

If the Hybrid Control ECU needs replacing - i understand this is under the pax side dashboard, behind the airbag... how do i replace that?

I'm currently getting 40-43 mpg. Car has 166K miles, HV batteries were replaced at 111K. My Dr. Prius app seems to show healthy batteries, i think (not that i know what i'm looking at with that). I think the rest of the HV system components are original.

I got the codes from my Toyota Techstream (knockoff) device and associated software.

Hybrid Control P3000 Battery Control System
    Engine and ECT (indicates 1 misfire in last 10 driving cycles)
    HV Battery P0A84 Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit Low
    (I had previously received code P0A82 Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan 1 Performance / Stuck OFF)
    ABS/VSC/TRAC C1259 HV System Regenerative Malfunction
    ABS/VSC/TRAC C1310 HV System Malfunction
    Transmission Control C2318 Low Voltage Error (Power Supply Malfunction)
    Air Conditioner B1421 Solar Sensor Circuit (Passenger Side) - i think this is normal

2. alembic42

alembic42 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I couldn't figure out how to edit my post. I wanted to clarify, i took apart the battery fan housing (intake starting on the pax side backseat, going behind the backseats), and investigated the HV battery fan. It doesn't spin on its own. When I spin it, it seems to move fine but it doesn't keep spinning when my fingers leave it. I replaced the fan with a used replacement - same exact behavior, unchanged. So I don't think it's that fan, leading me to believe it's the HV Control ECU (not to be confused with the main ECU or any other of the 15,000 ECUs in a prius). Thanks!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish i could help. since you have tech stream, my best suggestion would be to subscribe to the service manual at techinfo.toyota.com

if you're not having any symptoms, start with 12v health

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try the info below in the attachment, it's the P0A84 DTC Guide.

When you disassembled the ductwork, did you forget to connect the wire harness plug to the fan controller mounted in the lower duct?

Attached Files:

#4 TMR-JWAP, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019