1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle not even one year after replacing the Hybrid battery, whats going on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SlimeballCruz, Jun 20, 2023.

1. SlimeballCruz

SlimeballCruz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was on my way to work this morning when i was at a red light and noticed my Prius suddenly sound like it was running on high rpm's. I switched it off and turned it back on after the light was green and took off. As soon as i hit the interstate, my red triangle (not flashing), orange exclamation point, and vsc light, and check engine light was on.

I immediately pulled over and after a few phone calls drove to the dealership. Bad news was 80 people in front of me and basically told to go make an appointment. He said since its not flashing, im safe to drive it though. So i drove home.

After i left the dealership the only light that was on was the Red Triangle and check engine.

Less than a year ago i replaced the hybrid battery with a new one. So, I dont think its my battery, at least it better not be at least or im going to freak out lol. I am 90 miles overdue for an oil change. And the most current work i have had done on my car was removing a rusted break shield and getting my front end realigned.

2007 Prius 120k miles. Prius feels like its driving normally otherwise.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could be a failed inverter pump (possibly low on oil?). But this is all guess work until you pull the codes. But it shouldn't be your battery.

SlimeballCruz likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    New hv battery from Toyota dealership or rebuilt/reconditioned from someone else?

There is a long list of things that cause the light to come on. Brake booster, coolant pumps etc but the high rpms at the stop usually means low hv battery.

4. SlimeballCruz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

I ended up driving to AutoZone where they said it was my catalytic converter, so i took it to my muffler shop. She looked it over and told me my cat is fine, but something with the "hanger bar" was broke and causing a leak in the resonator. She welded it up for $35 and now all my lights are off and im good. Ended up being the easiest fix, thankfully.

SFO and bisco like this.
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes an exhaust leak is generally a pretty easy fix You just have to know it's there

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which shop in St Louis MO, then we can all support their affordable welding services.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "She", wow nice. Did you have to delete the codes? I'm not sure the Red Triangle would come on from an exhaust leak, that is more a "check engine light" thing. Did you check your oil level?

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The P0420 catalytic converter efficiency code DOES NOT give the master warning, it gives only a check engine light.
    You have something else going on also.

And yes, the hanger supports are welded to the forward portion of the resonator, so if one of the welds cracked, it would likely result in an exhaust leak.

9. SlimeballCruz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Dons Muffler Clinic. Its a woman owned shop off of Cherokee Street. She got me in and out in 10 minutes. She also was very generous and helpful last year when my catalytic was sawed off my Prius.

bisco and SFO like this.
  10. SlimeballCruz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i didnt have to delete the codes myself, but they were all off as soon as i was handed my vehicle back.
    And yes she! Woman owned muffler shop here in St Louis. Shes very affordable, helpful with options, and always gets me in fast.

11. SlimeballCruz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wonder how much of the catalytic converter code that Auto Zone gave me has to do with me not having a "real" cat on my Prius. I have a cheap one from amazon, because Catalytic convertor thefts in my neighborhood happen very frequently every night. At the time i couldnt afford the full repair. It works and everything, but technically it would fail me when it comes to getting an inspection.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I personally am getting ready to take a $5,000 lb and under weld on catalytic converter and attach it to a generation 2 Prius welded in properly and all that'll look good and see if that can pass the Prius flood test or whatever goes on to make this code generally come on for the low catalyst threshold I'm interested to see what's going on here It's hard for me to imagine that just a Prius would have to have a very specific type catalytic converter with more whatever in it just because just doesn't seem likely like the same 2Z engine in a Corolla can use the weld on catalytic converter I'm talking about without coding.

13. SlimeballCruz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    the catalytic convertor i bought off of amazon cost about $100 even. I dont know much about all that realistically, but my mechanic told me in our state that it would most likely not pass a safety and emissions test. But she said it would get me by up until my tags need to be changed.

SFO likes this.