1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle NOT turning on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Travis Tortorige, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Travis Tortorige

Travis Tortorige New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this might sound like a silly problem but it wasn't too silly this morning when I heard some knocking from the ICE and found NO oil on the dipstick (oohh...oh yeah...I was pissed. You wouldn't BELIEVE the drive the car did the day before when I lent it to my sister-in-law). Anyway, I thought the red triangle would illuminate with low oil. I can't seem to get the light to illuminate. Even when I first start the car and "all" indicators light up during the test. I'd say this is one important light. We've had the car less than a month and I could swear that when we first got it I saw the triangle at start up. Am I crazy?

2. Kermitt

Kermitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try This: Get InSide The Vehicle, DO NOT CLOSE THE DRIVE DOOR!! Turn On The Car On Ready Mode, Shift It To D And Try To Move It Forward; That's How My Triangle Turns On Since The Door Is No Supposed To Be Open. :)

Travis Tortorige likes this.
  3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You would think a low oil pressure light would light. Better keep a close eye on the dip stick in the future! Check for a leak. Oil plug seal, filter may not be sealed? Hopefully it is not burning that amount but it possibly will be after running out of oil! :cry: H

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Th red exclamation point that momentarily flashes on start up is alerting you to a low charge on the little 12 volt battery in the trunk. It begins by coming and going depending on the charge its holding. Its time to replace it.

Do this test and pay attention to the second number the load number. I imagine its at 11.4. Done.

Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

Low oil pressure will illuminate the yellow engine icon. The oil level has to be almost empty to illuminate that.
    Stupid I know.

Btw, based on many posts post mortem with this issue your car will now most likely consume oil since apparently the oil scavenging rings on the pistons are easily damaged by low oil level.

So you now have to regularly and proactively check the oil as the engine will begin burning oil.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Low oil will also put a laconic "Problem" message on the MFD, particularly when going around corners or stopping.

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the car was knocking because of low oil then I would assume that you have a high probability that you have damaged the bearings to the point that the engine will soon need to be replaced. You also need to diagnose WHY you had the low oil in the first place. That might indicate the the rings are bad and you are pumping the oil out of the crankcase.