1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle of death with no fault codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mpinckney70, May 26, 2022.

1. Mpinckney70

Mpinckney70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2009 Prius and I pulled into the driveway shut the car off and I hit the power button several times and it wouldn’t shut off, finally it shut down but 30min later I went to go to store and when I turned the car on I got the R.T.O.D and on the display there was a red car with a line in it and it shows no fault codes. Then after shutting it down a third time and restarting it the red triangle of death and the other light of red car was gone, what could’ve caused this to happen.

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Several years ago. I had something similar happen. The car wouldn't shut off and the key was stuck in the dash of the car. I unplugged the 12volt battery in the back trunk. I waited 5 mins and plugged it back in. Everything was fine until it did it again a week later. I bought a new 12V battery and everything has been fine since. That was 5 years ago. Still have same 12V battery.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the warning triangle lights up again, it is best to just use a scan tool that doesn't say there are no codes (or get the car to somewhere that has a scan tool that doesn't say there are no codes). Then you can post the codes here, and that makes next steps much easier to suggest.

4. Mpinckney70

Mpinckney70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First off I have replaced the 12v battery three months ago and the problem of it dying has stopped, this is actually new issue and has only happened the once but I’m not waiting for it to happen again I’m trying to prevent something from causing a complete break down for I use my car for my job and without it I’m dead in the water financially. I have also taken it to a shop and the only fault code that came up had to do with the coolant control valve and I replaced it on April 5th 2022 but this happened just the other day and took it back to the shop to have codes read and they say nothing comes up. I thought it might be the hybrid batteries but the place I called to replace them told me if I haven’t gotten a dash light warning specific for my hybrids then they don’t need replacing. Wondering if this could’ve just been a fluke of some sort??

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Possibly. Won't know any different unless/until the warning comes on again.

If it does, that shop where they used a scanner that said no codes came up? Don't go to that shop.

There are more computers in Prii than some scan tools know about, so it is super common for people to plug in scan tools and be told there aren't any codes. Slows things down until a better scan tool is used that says what the codes are.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I only trust a scantool that reports WHAT systems it has checked and if each one does or does not have any codes. This example is from the Autel Maxi AP200 Bluetooth device and app. It can read all codes and data for the 16 ecu's on my 2006. Screenshot_20220430-173135.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look to see if there is water in the battery well area a common issue in gen and easy fix.

Check the oil first. you maybe low on oil as these cars are know to burn it.