1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle of Death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nickkliesen, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Nickkliesen

Nickkliesen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I know that there are several threads about this cursed triangle but none that I have found so far match my symptoms that I have found anyway. I will start at the begining. At 212,000 or so miles my ABS light came on took it to a garage to check it and was told the ABS pump needed replaced. I changed the ABS pump out and when I put everything back together I started having trouble. we go the red triangle the check engine light and the circle with ! and it would not start. found that battery had been so wet for so long that the terminal was coming off. So I put a new yellow top in. started the car and not lights got around the block and bang red triangle back on. took it to get the codes read and it would not even communicate. re set tightened battery cables and same thing good for a little bit then right back on.
    took the hybrid battery out and checked the cells and I had a bad cell so I replaced it and put it back in the car started it up and went to test drive it and got about 10 miles and the there was a bang in the back that sounded like something had hit the battery cover this had also happened before we took the hybrid battery out. As I drove the red triangle and it little friends came back on so I started home but then the hole car sort of stuttered for a second and I lost power I could still go just the motor revved way up and I barely moved. I stopped and turned it off and back on gain and it still had the lights on but had normal power again drove about a mile and lost power again. I noticed when it did this that the car showed power going the the electric motor but not to the hybrid battery. As a side note this same thing happened before I touched the hybrid battery.

Any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It sounds like the traction battery has now failed catastrophically.

3. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    what is the traction battery? is that the hybrid battery or another battery??

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep it's the "big" battery".

5. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    could it be the ECU on the side of it because all of the cells have good voltage. and the ready light comes on ?? hoping to not have to spend more on one part than the car is worth

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That sounds a lot like a module has "popped". Have you taken a look yet to see what caused the bang?

7. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It did it before I took the battery out and everything looked normal just a cell with low voltage. I have not taken it back out of the car since it happened again last night

8. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am starting to think that a stick of dynamite is the way to go .

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's definitely not normal for that battery make a "bang" sound, so something has to be wrong.

10. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

I agree I do know that the battery is modules are tight and bolted down. I am at a loss as to what it could be from I guess that I will try the cheap way and try a new ecu because I dont know that I can justify buying a hole new HV battery

11. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If your code reader is a generic scanner, it may not read the hundreds of Prius-specific codes relating to the hybrid system. You may need to use another scanner. Otherwise we are just guessing. Throwing parts at it will probably not be the cheapest way to go in the end.

There are large relays in the battery case that may have failed audibly as well. Again, just guessing.

12. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I do not have a tester the guy at autozone could not get their reader to communicate to pull a code. I will see about getting a reader what is a recommended brand.

13. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I saw this question from @ericbecky from another thread: "Is the hybrid battery secured to the car with at least one mounting bolt that is tightened down all the way?"

14. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes it is secured to the car with all the mounting bolts and brackets tight. I am begining to think that it is more of an inverter coolant pump and the bang sound I heard was one of the relays. as soon as it happened the battery cooling fan kicked on super high.

15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where in Florida are you?

#15 jerrymildred, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  16. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am in the Tampa area I am 50 miles North of Tampa Bay in Brooksville

#16 Nickkliesen, Mar 31, 2017
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in New Port Richey and have a Mini VCI code reader and Toyota Techstream software. Also, Todd (@TampaPrius.com ) at Tampa Hybrids is an amazing resource. Home - Tampa Hybrids Inc.. You might give him a call if you can make it to his shop. He is absolutely fantastic. I'm pretty tied up tomorrow, but maybe I could read your codes Sunday afternoon. Probably not much I could do about them, though.

#17 jerrymildred, Mar 31, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That would be awesome if you have the time I cant get it to his shop it does not drive right and not trailer. I would gladly pay you to read the codes whenever you can I am tied up all weekend but I am tied up at home where the car is and can stop working on the boat to mess with the car anytime you are able.

19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No problem. And no charge. I'll get with you by personal message.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Pacific Northwest Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did you replace the wiring harness? Most of the hybrid battery problems are caused by a corroded harness in the first place.