1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle of Doom

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Richard A Lind, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Richard A Lind

Richard A Lind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hybrid battery indicator shows full. I'll start the car and the motor will start charging the battery but then sometimes the red triangle death comes on but the engine recharges the battery pretty much immediately. Had a new hybrid battery put in a year and a half ago. Along with the triangle of Doom comes all the other alerts all at once. Also yesterday I had a half a tank of fuel but after the red triangle of death came on the fuel indicator was blinking empty. I put 2 gallons of gas in it and it indicated that the tank was full then. What could be causing this does anybody know?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Typically, a dying 12v battery will give similar indications. A loss of 12v power will cause the fuel to show one blinking dot until the level sensor recalibrates itself. I would start by verifying the 12v battery and it's connections at the battery terminals and at the (-) connection on the car body. It would be prudent to read any codes that are present (should have something from the RTOD or CEL.)

SFO likes this.
  3. Richard A Lind

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I took the 12 volt battery out and that battery is only 2 years old. I cleaned up the terminals. I took the sidewall apart took the hybrid battery cooling fan out and cleaned it. I suppose I should take the battery back out and go have it tested. When I took it out I charged it for a full day. All the connections on the 12 volt battery are good and clean. So I suppose I'll take it back out and take it somewhere and have it checked. Thank you again. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the neg to ground connection as well, if you haven't already.

a load test at the front jump point is a good indicator

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car does, have you asked it yet?

The master warning light (sometimes called the RTOD) comes on for any of around two hundred reasons. Those reasons are identified by trouble codes that can be read from the car. The light means to read the codes.

Some of the reasons are quite minor and easy/cheap to fix, some are bigger deals. There's a whole range. Trying to guess before having the codes might make sense if the possible reasons numbered two or three or five or six, but not so much when they're a couple hundred.

Richard A Lind likes this.
  6. Richard A Lind

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Chapman. I was wondering if you can advise me where I can take my Prius to get the codes read other than a dealership. I live in Okeechobee Florida and there is no dealership for about 50 miles.

7. Richard A Lind

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did take it to a mechanic and all she shows is the p3000 and no sub codes. P3000 is the hybrid battery I understand.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your car has a "battery ECU" inside the battery, with detailed information about it, and an "HV ECU" under the dash, whose job is to be the orchestra conductor for the other ECUs in the car.

The P3000 code comes from the HV ECU, and essentially means "the battery ECU told me something is up back there".

The next level of detail you can get (which may require a better scan tool) would be the three-digit subcode for the P3000, which will be the HV ECU saying whether the battery ECU seemed to be talking about the battery itself, the fuse, the battery cooling system, battery being too far discharged, or overall voltage too low.

The best level of detail (which also may require a better scan tool) would be to get the codes and readings from the battery ECU itself, and not just the HV ECU's summary of what the battery ECU told it.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Look around for a mech with tech stream diagnostic software. If you can’t find one, you’ll have to drive the 50 miles

10. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Also another quick check is with your car off for the night so it is cool. remove the cap of the hybrid coolant resivouir. the small one slightly right of center by the inverter. Turn the car on to the "READY" light is on. make sure the coolant in the resivour is circulating. the coolant level should be moving to where you can see it in the tank. If not your Hybrid Coolant pump is out and needs to be replaced. The error code for this is P0A93. but you will need to read the code withthe Dr Prius App or Techstream.

11. Richard A Lind

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you everybody for the information. Is it possible that the 12 volt battery could be causing this? As I said it charges fine. But all the alerts come on all at once. I work 3:30 in the afternoon at 2:00 in the morning. It's really hard to get anything done with that schedule. I will check out all your suggestions. Thanks again.

12. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    when my 12volt battery went bad the car went silly. Errors, lights, bells....bought a new one for $200. problems all solved. If you live where it is hot.....and you do. If the battery is more than 3 years old..........might be worth it. Most Auto parts stores will take it back if you don't need it. And make sure all connections are tight. Especially the negative from the battery to the chassis. That bolt sometimes can be loose.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My experience doesn't support the idea of cars often going "silly" because of a bad 12 volt battery. But there are lots of posts on that theme, and a big part of the reason is that people who gravitate to that picture of what's happening usually do so instead of finding out what trouble codes they have or what those codes mean, because it's an "easy" explanation.

In many cases, if you could have talked the same people into finding out what trouble codes were actually behind the errors, lights, and bells they had, they would have turned out to be either:

• codes explicitly reporting low supply voltages. Several of the car's ECUs can report those, and when you get those codes because of a low battery, of course nothing "went silly" at all, the ECUs did their jobs and reported what really happened. Or,
    • codes all unrelated to the battery or supply voltage, and probably accurately reporting other issues in the car. But they didn't come back right away after battery replacement cleared them (and different codes have detection conditions that can take very different amounts of time to redetect), so the owner chalked it all up to "car went silly" and declared case closed.

Again, because people with this prior belief usually won't even have found out what trouble codes are being reported ("why bother to read those if the car's just going silly?"), there's generally no finding out what really did or didn't happen in those cases.

TheLastMojojomo likes this.