1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle, P3000, acceleration issues…

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Meaganmadness, Sep 19, 2023.

1. Meaganmadness

Meaganmadness New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius with 190,000 miles on it, still on original hybrid battery.
    Recently the red triangle came on along with the brake error light. The battery fan in the back of the car is extra loud. After about 5 mins of driving the car has trouble accelerating making it too difficult to drive.
    Went ahead and replaced 12v on it because it was almost dead, hoped that would solve the problem. Water found in battery compartment, cleaned it out found the crack in the hatch and patched with silicone.
    Problem still occurring. Got a cheap reader and dr Prius app. Block 9 is either way lower or way higher than other blocks. It said p3000 which I know is pretty generic, and that block 9 could be a problem block.
    I’m going to clean out the fan next but have a feeling this won’t fix the problem. Any suggestions on what to do here?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Normally these nickel metal hydride battery pack seem to be a 10 to 13 years so lifespan and then they fall on their face pretty hard The lights come on the fan in the back is running profusely so on and so forth You see you have a problem in a block and what have you Yes you can pull the battery out play whack-a-mole and do whatever it is you do absolutely If you have no time for this there are places around they can get you fixed up pretty quick for around 750 bucks etc etc and you can spend more by a brand new battery for I don't know what it is now $2,200 2400 cash and carry something like that but then you pretty much have 10 good years or so plus of not worrying about that unless of course some other component can fail put a load on the HV system and ruin it that way like your transaxle generator not charging the battery and it running down to a severe state of discharge for a length of time or such things like that.

3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fix the HV battery by doing one of the following:
    1. Buy a new OEM battery
    2. Buy a refurbished battery
    3. Buy two refurbished modules and replace the ones in block #9 of your battery pack.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.