1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle plus check engine light came on after hitting the brakes hard.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paulmagpul, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Paulmagpul

Paulmagpul New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My wife backed out of A parking space and had to slam on the brakes to keep from an idiot running into her. After she hit the brakes the red triangle and check engine light came on. I put the car into diagnostic mode and everything was ok except for the EMV. We recently had the hybrid system and hybrid cooling system serviced, the car tuned up, and the regular cooling system serviced, I’m sorry should have said that the car is an 05 Prius earlier, I unhooked the rear battery and then hooked it back up and that’s done away with the warning lights, the car starts and runs fine, could that have just been A glitch, and should I be concerned about driving it? I’m A carpenter not A mechanic, my wife still expects me to fix any problems that come along and usually I do. Any help/input/advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    poly just a glitch. keep an eye on it, if the light comes back on, you'll have to have the codes read. might need some work in the near future, how many miles on her?

3. Paulmagpul

Paulmagpul New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    239,000 miles I took it to the dealership and they said the battery is shot, they want 2800.00 to fix it, I’m disabled from A car accident in 2014 when A suv ran A stop sign and I t-boned it, was in physical therapy for 2 years, so I cannot come up with that kind of money especially when Christmas is right around the corner. I’ve found some sites on the internet that sell reconditioned batteries, how hard is it to replace? My only other option is to trade my 2018 Mustang GT and get my wife A new car, it took me 38 years working in construction to get it so I sure don’t want to trade it for some boring SUV for my wife. Thank you so much for your reply.

4. Paulmagpul

Paulmagpul New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Has anyone had experience with A company called Hybrid Battery Experts, they will come to my house and install A rebuild battery with A 5 year warranty, for A lot less than the dealership? thanks

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do a bit of searching here. rebuilt batteries are not for the faint of heart. only as good as the company standing behind them, and likely will involve downtime when the warranty is needed.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would verify that the battery is indeed the issue. Did they provide any trouble codes?
    We have seen extremely low oil level in the engine trigger the Check Engine light during sudden vehicle movements. It should be easy to get a friend to check the engine oil level.

The general experience here is that any used / reconditioned battery is not usually reliable regardless of the warranty. Many times the warranty only covers the part & not installation too.

Other than a battery from a dealer or from a dedicated hobbyist here, the only other good option is the New Cell kit listed in my signature but you are unable to DIY. The battery companies cannot spend the time & testing to properly repair, recondition, & test a battery.

Perhaps @TMR-JWAP has some ideas. He sometimes comes across good battery deals and has been known to deliver & install.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Rebuilt/Refurbished/Reconditioned/Remanufactured/etc" will never last as long as a new OEM. Remember, the chemicals "wear out." The original HV Battery was warranted for 8/10yrs (depending on State), by design; few liabilities during warranty period. The best warranty is one you never need. A "rebuilt" you will.

You may want to get another vehicle. Other costly components will fail down the road. A "rebuilt" would make sense here to have a temporarily functioning vehicle to sell/trade, to get something else.

Member 2k1Toaster's company is a viable option for a new HV Battery (via kit), if you can NOT find a dealer to sell you the HV Battery at a price you deem reasonable. NewPriusBatteries

Cheapest online price for a genuine OEM HV Battery, from an actual dealer is $1699.70; Conicelli Toyota. A member recently acquired one for his daughter; Post #24 Verified $1700 HV battery purchase and no Tax (out of state billing address): 07 Prius pulled p0a80 code "Replace Hybrid Battery" - What are my options? | Page 2 | PriusChat. You will still need to verify that local dealers will sell you the HV Battery, as not all dealers will do so. Also, see if local dealers will beat or match the cheapest online dealer part price.

Amortize the cost over the likely life expectancy of 10years, then it might not be so expensive for you.
    $1699.70/10years = $169.97/year = $14.16/month = $3.54/week = $0.51/day
    Give-up 3 Starbucks latte a month, for the next 10years, you just paid for this HV Battery.

The car could be worth $zero. But, the HV Battery gives you flexibility . It can be transferred into a younger/lower mileage Gen2 (2004-2009), or into a Gen3 (2010-2015) via module swap (Gen2 modules into the Gen3 HV Battery case), and possibly into a Gen4 (module swap into Gen4 case). Also, you could sell this OEM HV Battery, recovering a fair amount of your expense, if a cost prohibitive auto accident or future repair bill occurs.

A new OEM HV Battery requires some work for installation. ECUs from the old battery need to get transfered over and all the posts need to torqued correctly, not tightened by feel.

AVOID Hybrid Battery Experts!
    1) $1249 installed with a 5 Year Warranty (GUARANTEED failures) vs $1700 new OEM HV Battery (8-10yr trouble free operation).
    2) CRAP 5year Pro-rated warranty:
    0-12 Months – Free Replacement With Installation Included
    12-36 Months- 50% Credit Toward Replacement With Installation Included
    36-48 Months- 25% Credit Toward Replacement With Installation Included
    48-60 Months- 10% Credit Toward Replacement With Installation Included​
    3) Anyone can call themselves "Experts."
    4) Marketing hype:
    Who says you are a trusted brand? (they do)
    Who says they have top quality? (they do)
    Who says they are a best seller? (they do)​
    upload_2018-11-10_15-18-34.png

bisco likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With either the $1700 part option or the kit you need somebody to install. The member here said they are recovering after an accident so I assumed they cannot install a replacement battery.

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have an OBD2 code reader? If not can you maybe swing by an AutoZone, Advanced Auto, or O'Reilly's and have codes read?

There's a possibility it's coincidental - I've personally seen check engine lights come on due to oil consumption causing degradation in emissions system performance. Also, some people have the red triangle come on from electrical issues with the parking brake (this is accompanied by a message about the "P Lock mechanism").

10. Paulmagpul

Paulmagpul New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks again for the help, the local dealership will install A brand new one with one year warranty for 27,000. They said all the codes point to only the hybrid battery failure. But I would have to save for some time to afford the repair. Another member mentioned that I could get A brand new one for 17,000, How hard would it be to swap out myself? I’m able to do some work, I wear A custom back brace. I’m going on u tube to look for how to videos. A new battery does seem the best option, the company’s that could come to my house and install/ repair I just don’t trust. Thanks again

11. Paulmagpul

Paulmagpul New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for your help, I change my own oil, it’s fine, took it to the local dealership and they said all the codes point to hybrid battery going bad, it’s almost 14 years old with 239,000 miles, and I live in coastal North Carolina where it gets very hot so I guess it’s lasted A good while. The dealership wants 2700,00 for A new one with A one year warranty. That’s A lot of money for me, I will have to save for A while. But I saw where A member posted that I can get one for 1700,00 shipped to my house, I just wonder how hard it would be to swap out. And does the computer have to be reset or recalibrated after? I’m going on u tube to look for battery replacement videos. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please understand that I fully empathize with the fact that $2700 is a lot of money. I'd just like to add a consideration; the Toyota battery is pretty much a known quantity - you know it'll probably last, barring other issues with your car. There's lots of data to back that up since those same batteries are installed in millions of still-running Priuses. Now, there's a whole lot less knowledge surrounding third party batteries and you don't really know if they really will last as long as the originals save for a handful of people going "it worked for me", and rarely are those people around long-term. My feeling is that the price difference is at least a little warranted given the relative guarantee of quality from the OEM part.

I should add that our own car is similar to yours; a little newer, but with higher mileage. We have a number of issues as well and are considering retiring it (despite the fact that we're pretty attached to it). I'll also add that I am a cheapskate and I kind of hate to spend money.

That said, I saw that new Chevy Malibus are selling for $13k. Yes, it's a GM (which I consider to be a low-quality product that isn't going to last past 4-5 years), but it's still hard to ignore the fact that you can get a family-sized brand new car, with a warranty, for $13k (which works out to ballpark $250/mo with a $2000 down payment given good credit) and you can basically throw it away after those 4-5 years. I mean, if CarMax gives you $2000 for it, then you've done decently.

13. Paulmagpul

Paulmagpul New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for your help, I just don’t trust any of the company’s that will come out and repair/ install A rebuild battery, they claim A 5 year warranty, but of the two companies that service my area, one has been in business for 3 years and has seven complaints filed against them via the BBB,the other has only been in business for A year, my local dealership will replace it with A new battery for 2700,00, I just don’t have that kind of money right now. So the 1700.00 option to have A new one shipped to my house sounds good, I’m just A little intimidated about trying to do it myself. I’m going on u tube to look for A battery replacement video. Forgive my ignorance, but what are the ECUs that need to be transferred to the new battery? I was in construction work all my life, not A mechanic. Thanks so much for taking the time to try and help me, and for posting the links where I can get the 1700,00 battery
    the car still starts and runs fine except the cooling fan stays on all the time, will it hurt to drive short distances ?

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are referring to NewPriusBatteries.com, perhaps @2k1Toaster here can direct you to some of his documentation.

15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    $1700 is the cheapest price for a new OEM HV Battery, found so far. Unfortunately NO Toyota dealer will ship it due to cost. Thus the need to find a local dealer who will beat or match a Toyota dealer's online price, for pick-up, unless you don't mind driving. If you have an out-of-State billing address/CR card, you will likely pay no sales tax.

The ECUs (Electronic Control Units) that need to move into the new HV Battery are visibly obvious, when you have the old and new HV Battery next to each other. You CAN NOT miss this; only blindness will make you miss the ECUs.

I believe you can do this, if you wanted to, as you indicated you have done some work on the wife's car. Working on the HV Battery just requires you to be very careful. A torque wrench is a must. Also, it is a very good idea to have high voltage lineman gloves (rubber) and the exterior leather cover for the rubber gloves; however, some people have skipped using the gloves.

That dealership is mis-informed. Toyota changed the warranty on HV Battery a few years back. Before it was a ONE year warranty/unlimited mileage (installed by Toyota or not). NOW, it is a THREE year warranty/unlimited miles when installed by Toyota. ONE year/unlimited miles when NOT installed by Toyota. Realistically, the warranty will not be needed. The original HV Battery that came with your car has lasted 14years! You will likely get 8-10+years w/ a new OEM HV Battery.

Taxis and commercial vehicles only get ONE year warranty w/ a new OEM HV pack.
    The HV Battery is definetly failing. That is a hallmark symptom: Master Warning Light (Red Triangle w/ !) and hearing the HV Battery fan. You can continue to drive, but it will get worse over time, and the ECUs will bring the car to a stop, possibly leaving you stranded.

A temporary solution (horrible IMO) is to replace the dead/dying modules w/ stronger, working modules. Many postings of people doing this and all sorts of problems and lack of reliability for obvious reasons.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @2k1Toaster ships his kit to your house for $1600.

Both the OEM battery & the kit are "some assembly required". With the OEM you need to return the properly packaged core too.

#16 Prodigyplace, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Battery to your door :) In stock now and more coming.

Prodigyplace likes this.