1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle plus VCS plus brake symbol with exclamation point

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Larrieda, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Larrieda

Larrieda New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just had my Prius worked on for this very problem. On the way back from the meachanic's shop (I live 46 miles away) the lights came on again, only 3 miles from my home. Is it safe to drive back the 46 miles to the mechanic tomorrow? My inexpensive code reader says "NO CODES". Towing would cost me about $200.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Might be time to upgrade that code reader. Is there any auto parts stores nearby, as they all should offer a few scan, though it they also may not be toyota hybrid compatible. Try all of the stores and post the codes here for additional guidance.

What did the mechanic recently service, or fix?

How does the vehicle feel with the warning lights on, does it still brake and handle the same as before?

AAA membership would be far less expensive if you needed a tow.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a no-cost, no-traveling partial workaround to the "inexpensive code reader says NO CODES" issue, and that is to read the codes by the blinking-dash-lights method. You just need a short piece of wire to put between two pins of the diagnostic connector, and you count the blinks of the lights on the dash. Takes all the issues with dubious code readers right out of the picture.

You can't get all the car's trouble codes that way, but you can get the ones from the brake/skid ECU, which accounts for the VSC and brake warning lights.

The codes behind the triangle light will have to be read with a working scan tool. And it's possible the only codes you end up getting from the VSC/brake lights will be the blink codes 58 and 51 (DTCs C1259 and C1310), which only mean "what are you looking at us for? go get the codes behind the triangle light." But there could be more codes than those, and even if it's only those, that will confirm that your next step would be a good scan tool to read the unseen codes.