1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle Warning Light and NO OIL after 5000 mi service!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by twenty8moons, Aug 21, 2004.

1. twenty8moons

twenty8moons New Member

I had my 5000 mile service 2 weeks ago Monday. Tonight, two blocks from home on a city street going about 30 mph the big red triangle warning light and engine malfunction light came on. Everything "felt" normal as I proceeded cautiously home. The car did not die. Half an hour later, my husband went outside to check the oil and found NOTHING . Totally dry dipstick. Our garage floor is dry, so it hasn't been leaking.

We live about 3 blocks from a Toyota dealership (not the one that did the service) and plan on putting oil in the car iand driving it in for service first thing tomorrow morning.

Any ideas as to what happened??? Did they forget to put oil in? Or not put in enough? Is the engine ruined? Is it a bad idea to drive it to the dealership or should we have it towed?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

2. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

looks like they forgot to add the oil or added insufficient oil.

Call the dealership and tell them to send a tow truck.

...If they forgot the oil...tell them that you want a new car...if they resist, call you lawyer.

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Perhaps they did not tighten the oil filter sufficiently. If it's loose, tighten it by hand, add oil and take the car to the dealer for a check-up. Also, make sure that you have a drain plug.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very unlikely they completely forgot oil if you've been driving for 2 weeks without any problems. It probably is too low and thus the simple warning light and no functional problems. If the dealer is that close give them a call ask if they think it's ok for you to drive it there (thus shifting some liability to them) to have them top it off and explain how this could happen....maybe a nice photo of your dry garage floor would be good too so they can't claim a leak or otherwise deny responsibility.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Geez, if there's that little oil in it you really don't want to drive it at all. Zero, zilch, zip. Don't even start it. Tow it somewhere, or try adding oil yourself and see where it comes out.

6. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Re: Red Triangle Warning Light and NO OIL after 5000 mi serv

DO NOT DRIVE THAT CAR!

CALL PRIUS ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AND HAVE IT FLAT-BEDDED TO THE DEALERSHIP.

(I hope you heard me!)

877-304-6495 is the # for emergency roadside asst.

7. twenty8moons

twenty8moons New Member

Update

Thanks for all the advice. I have an update and more questions.

I spoke with a mechanic at the dealership very close to our home this morning. He was appalled. He suspects they didn't put anywhere near enough oil in, but that they put some, since the car drove fine for two weeks. No knocking noises or bad smells, although we were a bit puzzled that our mpg was down a bit since the oil change, but thought we must be getting lax in our driving habits.

Unfortunately, they won't be able to look at the car until Monday morning. We will have the car towed then, thanks for the reminder about the emergency roadside number, Diane. In the meantime, we plan on taking pictures and movies with our digital camera documenting the lack of oil. The mechanic sugested we photograph the garage and take a look under the car at the plug as well. He said that it is almost certain that this has damaged the life of our engine. He made it seem like we would need to go after the other dealership to have the engine (or car) replaced. My husband doesn't like this idea. Proving that they did the damage is one thing, but we don't want them touching the car again. Does anyone have any experience with Toyota on something like this? If an authorized dealer service center damages a car that is under warranty, wouldn't Toyota repair the damage and allow us to choose another dealer to do the work?

Also, could there be any damage to the Hybrid system as well? I understand the reasons why running a gasoline engine without oil are so damaging, but could engine temperatures or anything else have harmed the electric motor? In other words, do I need a new gas engine, or a new car?

I am so, so sad. My husband is beside himself for not checking the oil level when we picked up the car, something he usually does.

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

One step at a time. Let us know what happens on Monday.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm you drove the car 2 weeks without problems? did you take a long trip or something. your post suggests that you drove 5000 miles in a month and ½?

i hope everything goes well for you. since the ICE only runs part time, its possible it was low and you didnt notice since the engine doesnt make a lot of noise under any circumstances. but low oil like that will greatly increase the wear and very well could shorten the life of your engine.

unfortunately, your engine would most likely have to be torn down to find out which is a risk in itself. i have always suspected that the ICE in the Prius would last much longer than a normal engine as evidenced by a Vancouver taxi company that has been using Priuses since 2000 and has a few with over 250,000 miles on them still going strong.

let us know how everything goes... we are praying for you.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

The first thing to do is make a movie of the Toyota tech draining the remaining oil out of the engine. Any less than 1 liter and I'd be talking to a lawyer. If it's 2 liters I'd suspect that the motor has a low oil sender that triggers the MIL and Triangle. If 2 liters to 3 liters I doubt any damage. The dipstick probably won't register any less than about 2 liters. Get the dealer to pull the code that triggered the MIL and Triangle, that should provide a bit of information. I doubt that Toyota would honour the warranty, and you will be dealing with the actual dealer who did the service. Sorry.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PLEASE don't take this wrong, it's just a "let's cover all the bases" thought...

Did you wipe the dip stick with a paper towel to be absolutely sure there was no oil on it? It can be extremely hard to see fresh clean oil on the dipstick. Just a thought that occured to me...

12. twenty8moons

twenty8moons New Member

We drive a lot! :) We commute over 100 miles per day and take longer trips on weekends to visit family quite a bit. We did put almost 6000 miles on the car from the day we picked it up until the first oil change - June 3rd to August 9, so about 2 months. We put about 1200 miles on between the oil change and the breakdown. No problems until the red triangle showed up.

Thanks for your advice and support.

13. twenty8moons

twenty8moons New Member

:) No offense taken. I am blonde but my husband is not and he did the checking. Used a paper towel and the towel was dry, dry dry. He repeated several times.

Good thought, it did occur to us and so we were really thorough when we checked. We had actually checked the oil a week before we had the service done when the odo actually hit 5000 miles. We were having a hard time getting into a dealership (long commute+long work hours = no free time) and so wanted to see how the oil level was since we knew we were going to go over by a few hundred miles. The oil was still very clean and the level was good.

14. twenty8moons

twenty8moons New Member

Good ideas/tips. Thanks.

I've never really had any reason to deal with a car manufacturer on a warranty issue. Why do you think Toyota will not honor the warranty?

15. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Toyota will blame the dealer and say they are not responsible for their damage. So your actions will be against the dealers insurance company. To prove fault you will have to document all your actions. Thus the movie of the reamaing oil in the engine. If your the least bit mechanical take a metal coat hanger and cut it off at the top and straighten it out and insert it in the dipstick tube and see how much oil is in there. Put a mark or a piece of tap at the top of the tube so you have a reference point to compare it to the dipstick and see how much oil remains in the engine, mark to oil and relate it to the dipstick. With your "dipstick" on the bottom of the oil pan and your dipstick to make a reference to the roughly 4 liters, capacity of the engine, should get a good idea of how much oil is in there.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Toyota warrants the car against defects. They do not warrant it against negligence. If the dealer indeed failed to add enough oil, it was negligence, and the dealer's responsibility, not Toyota's. Since there is no oil in your garage, and presumably no oil (from spillage) in the engine compartment, it sure sounds like they neglected to add oil.

I think you would be entirely within your rights to have any further work/investigation done by a dealer of your choice. I don't think there is any need to go back to the offending dealer.

The best of luck to you.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Be compulsive, very compulsive. Document everything. Keep records. Put them in a file. Pictures with dates imprinted on them. Film is better than digital. Please remember this. Vidieo needs to be documented and witnessing by several people they kept by a totally independent party, a lawyer but not your lawyer. This lawyer will server as a trustee of the documentation. Video and digital pictures can be seamlessly altered by computers and therefore are suspect. That is why the chain of evidence by independent third parties must be maintained. Good luck.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoa, deep breath here folks....this is a bad situation, but not a murder scene we're talking about...let's keep things in perspective. This will never amount to a trial by jury or anything of that sorts. In fact, it'll probably be taken care of by arbitration if it even comes to that.

It is quite unlikely that the car actually ran totally devoid of oil for 1200 miles without some earlier warning or something. I WOULD be very concerned about some degree of premature wear due to the poor oil, but some settlement should be achievable via reasonable documentation via digital or film photos, video with or without a witness with J.D. after his name. And a carefully composed statement of the facts complete with reciepts should be more than adequate. The negative publicity that would arise if this became public would be enought to keep the service dept. honest in most cases.

19. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One possibility (from personal expericence) is a double oil filter gasket. For years I changed my own oil. One time I didn't notice that the old gasket hadn't come off with the filter. Ran fine for several weeks, then for whatever reason, the seal between the gaskets failed. Oil light on! Stopped the car, added oil and noticed it coming out the bottom. Dark and late so I had it towed to a service station where they found the problem the next day.

20. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I'm still a little confused as to why you were able to drive 1200 miles until the MIL came on. I worked in the service department at a VW dealership this summer, and saw a customer drive his Passat out to the street and then reverse back to the service drive immediately... the technician simply put NO oil in the car! It was apparant within less than a minute there was a bad problem. So the case you are trying to prove may be harder than you think. How can you prove that the dealers actions caused the oil to dissipate over time? (it wasn't leaking in your garage). Don't get me wrong, it's obvious that probably the dealer did something wrong, but I am flummoxed as to how you would lose all of your oil without an apparant leak.

Dr. Fusco said that the whole documentation process seemed to be overkill, but when dealing with insurance companies and lawyers, it's unfortunately what you need to do. (I even keep my camera in the glove in case of an accident. ) Also, if your engine has been damaged by the dealer's actions, don't take anything less than a new engine or if you must, a new Prius. Best of luck to you :)