1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle with "Problem" on the MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by randreed, Sep 11, 2007.

1. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today, twice on the way to work and 3 times on the way back, for no apparent reason, I got the Red Triangle with an exclamation point, and the description on the MFD just said "Problem".

Well "Problem" could mean a world of things, so I am making an appointment at the dreaded dealer first thing in the morning.

In the meantime, I already searched both the manual and the Priuschat forum with no success. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

2. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today, twice on the way to work and 3 times on the way back, for no apparent reason, I got the Red Triangle with an exclamation point, and the description on the MFD just said "Problem".

Well "Problem" could mean a world of things, so I am making an appointment at the dreaded dealer first thing in the morning.

In the meantime, I already searched both the manual and the Priuschat forum with no success. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not much to go on... all we can say is, let us know what the dealer finds, including all trouble codes.

4. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not much to go on... all we can say is, let us know what the dealer finds, including all trouble codes.

5. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Sep 12 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]511267[/snapback]</div>
    Make sure all of your doors are shut. I got the Triangle and found out that one of my doors was slightly open and I got the warning. FishHawk

6. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Sep 12 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]511267[/snapback]</div>
    Make sure all of your doors are shut. I got the Triangle and found out that one of my doors was slightly open and I got the warning. FishHawk

7. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK - here's what the dealer said:

There were no codes registered, but they noticed that the oil level was low, and when they put it on the lift they saw that the oil filter was loose and leaking. So their best guess is that the sensor was just starting to get to the point of warning me, but as the oil was sloshing around it was reset before the code was registered.

Does that sound right? :blink:

Anyway, I'm bringing the bill for $98.00 to the place that has been changing my oil for the past year.

8. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK - here's what the dealer said:

There were no codes registered, but they noticed that the oil level was low, and when they put it on the lift they saw that the oil filter was loose and leaking. So their best guess is that the sensor was just starting to get to the point of warning me, but as the oil was sloshing around it was reset before the code was registered.

Does that sound right? :blink:

Anyway, I'm bringing the bill for $98.00 to the place that has been changing my oil for the past year.

9. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Sep 13 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]512210[/snapback]</div>
    Not really. If an oil filter is loose enough to drop your oil level, it's generally loose enough to unthread itself and fall off. Even if that hadn't yet happened, the underside of your car should be covered in oil, if their hypothesis is correct. And the sensor that "was just starting to get to the point of warning me" - were they referring to the oil pressure sensor? A low oil level doesn't usually cause low pressure until the oil pickup starts sucking air.

How many miles after the oil change was it brought in to the dealer, and how low was the oil level?

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If 2006 Prius (and newer) throw MFD warnings upon low oil pressure, this would be great news! Something (ahem) I have been whining about for years. The last 3 (older) Prius that suffered catastrophic oil-outs just lit up the (ignorable) oil pressure warning light. Only one of those needed a new engine, if I've got my facts straight.

RandReed, I wish you'd get the current batch of engine oil analyzed to confirm that no important 'erosion of contact surfaces" has occurred. Clean report there and you can drive happy. Forever, most probably.

And maybe think about doing those engine oil changes yourself?

11. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jk450 @ Sep 13 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]512316[/snapback]</div>
    Only about 2000 Miles since the last oil change.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 14 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]512497[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if that is really what happened or if the service manager was just blowing smoke. If it was an oil warning it is pretty useless with just the word "Problem" displayed!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 14 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]512497[/snapback]</div>
    Analyzed??? Too late now, but by who? and How much?

I would do it if I had a place to do it and if the township did not charge so much to dump oil at the recycling center. It's far cheaper to have the oil-change place do it (full synthetic, by the way), although I am switching places as a result of this situation.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Sep 14 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]512823[/snapback]</div>
    Blackstone Labs is one choice among many. The used oil analysis threads here mention others. Cost about $20; more if you also get 'total base number'. TBN is primarily useful in determining end of life for synthetics for those extending their oil change intervals.

In this case, there may be concern for excess metal wear from suspected earlier 'lubrication insufficiency'. Analysis of whatever oil you've got in there now could ally those fears (or possibly support them). Prius engine normally sheds very little wear metals, so it would be easy to see a signal against low background noise.

It is too late to analyze oil you no longer have, but never too late to assess Prius' engine condition with this technique.

13. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Sep 14 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]512823[/snapback]</div>
    autozone, advance autoparts, and even wal mart will take your used oil and dump it in their recycling bin.

14. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Sep 13 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]512210[/snapback]</div>
    I'm guessing that's some cheap quick-change place and not a dealer?