1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. maddog2020

maddog2020 Junior Member

Model:
    IV
    My daughter has an '07 with 130k miles on the clock. The Red Triangle, VSC, and CEL came on today. From a little research on here I thought it might be the 12v battery so I popped it out and took it to O'Reilly to be tested. Despite being 5 or 6 years old they said the battery tested fine. Popped the battery back in, and the issue seems to have reset itself. Before pulling the battery I had tried to read the codes with the Auto Doctor app which is normally pretty good, but it told me the MIL was off (which was a lie) and that there were no codes, so I assume any data would have been readable by Toyota kit only.

Anyway, my suspicion is that this is the start of the Hybrid battery failing. We're just heading off on a trip, so won't get to take it in to the dealer for "diagnosis" which will I'm sure carry a nice fee for another week or so. My question is, if it is the hybrid battery, what do folks on here think about buying a refurb battery from eBay? Is it a reasonable DIY to replace the hybrid battery, or does it need specialized kit? I'm pretty handy around cars - according to my wife I've spent more on tools than I ever have on her - which is completely true.

Ian

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't go on a trip with this car!

Disconnecting the 12v reset the car, but it didn't fix your problem. You don't want to be far from home when those lights return.

Do not buy refurbished, your car is low mileage so you should buy new

3. maddog2020

maddog2020 Junior Member

Model:
    IV
    Ok, but I don’t want to pay the ridiculous dealer prices. If I buy new or refurb, can I install it myself?

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since you never actually read the codes, you have no idea what the problem is. Could be misfiring for all we know and have zero to do with the battery.

If you have an OBDII scanner and a phone (with an app like Torque) or a laptop (with a program like Techstream) then you can see what's up. There aren't shortcuts to this and you need to buy something like this now that the car has told you it's hurting.

If it was the battery, I'd actually be OK with taking it on a trip. Highway driving keeps the battery happy. And usually after the code is thrown for the very first time, you've got a bit of time before it becomes persistent. This car should now be treated as though it could strand you at anytime anywhere until you have fixed the problem. If you are doing medical trips to the hospital, go rent a car. If you are OK with the possibility of the car throwing a code and stalling on the side of the road and needing to wait hours for a tow, then I'd continue driving the car short term with heightened awareness. Assuming it is the HV battery, minimize using it. Don't reverse, ever if you can. Otherwise reverse in at the end of your trips so you can just go when you READY the car and not have to reverse. Try to not let the engine turn off. Crank the heat or just highway drive so it stays on. In the city, force charge at lights. No creep on electric only. No jackrabbit starts. You could survive a while.... maybe.

As to a refurbished pack, just say no.

SFO likes this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The hardest part is removing the pack assembly from the vehicle and then putting it back in. It's just shy of 100lbs, a little bit awkward, and has sharp edges. You have no good lifting point, you'll be hunched over it. If you can do that, or recruit some muscle to help the rest is trivial. You will be playing with high voltage DC so take it slow and safe unless you want to fry yourself. Remember being electrocuted by high voltage AC gives you 60 times a second to let go. Being electrocuted by high voltage DC, you just clamp harder and harder until you die.

6. maddog2020

maddog2020 Junior Member

Model:
    IV
    I have 3 code readers, the best by far is the Auto Doctor app with a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter. It didn’t show any codes.

7. maddog2020

maddog2020 Junior Member

Model:
    IV
    In a gig a long time ago I used to have to tap into 480V 120A live bus bars. I understand that was AC and hence not as dangerous, but that was some power to mess with.

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't speak to Auto Doctor, but Torque is able to read all the codes from all the ecus. A persistent RToD means there's a code. A flash of one could be something as benign as the door sensor thinking the door is open while moving.

I use TechStream for real diagnosis, Torque just to read a code on the go and maybe clear it. May be a good idea to get a TechStream laptop ready for the next time this happens.

SFO likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like you have the required experience to not warrant the common "if you have to ask, don't do this as you may kill yourself" response. Put on some certified 1000v gloves and go to town. Not so scary.