1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Abrahamblincoln, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Abrahamblincoln

Abrahamblincoln New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had red triangle . Took to dealer for diagnostic, and they said it was; Engine Coolant Inverter Electric Water Pump Had gone bad. Can I trust dealer diagnostics?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles on the vehicle?

Gen2s are known to burn through inverter pumps, 80k miles (more or less) is common, when was yours last replaced?

If you paid for the diagnostics, they should've included the OBD2 scan results, please post the OBD2 codes (DTCs) here for further advise.

Look for codes (DTCs) that have a five (5) digit alphanumeric like P0A93, etc.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There’s a few water pumps in a g2

One is the engine water pump it’s belt driven and in the passenger side if the engine

One is the inverter coolant pump a little pump behind the drivers side headlight. The inverter coolant reservoir is the small white tank just to the left of the big silver cover that’s the inverter.

So don’t confuse the 2.

Get a flashlight. Make the car ready meaning start it. Open the car to the inverter reservoir and look inside with flashlight the pink coolant in there’s should be moving. Mine looks like it’s boiling it has so much movement.
    At the least yours should look like tepid boiling. I doubt it’s moving.

It’s a $90 pump. Dealer will charge you at least $500 to change it.
    It will need new coolant too but dealers rarely do that.