1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Warning Triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gardendoc, Nov 16, 2012.

1. gardendoc

gardendoc New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About a month ago my 2009 Prius - 35500 miles - started acting up intermittently. When I first start the car I am getting a red warning triangle for just a few seconds and I feel/hear a soft thump under my foot that is on the brake pedal, there is a few second pause - the warning light goes away and the car starts just fine. This does not usually recur until the car has shut off for a few hours or so. I have had the car to my Toyota dealer twice and they could not reproduce the warning light even after it had been sitting all nite. That was about a month ago - and the problem has been very intermittent. Then yesterday we had a pretty cool morning and when I started the car I got the red warning triangle and a Warning on my screen -- something to the effect that "There is a Park and Transmission Lock" - I turned the car off and started again almost immediately - no warning triangle - no warning message. It happened again once this morning - will try and take it in tomorrow but would like to know if Anyone knows what the problem could be??
    Janet

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The warning message about the transmission lock is one of the common symptoms of low 12V battery. Even though yours is not that old, it also looks like it does not get much use, and may be discharged. Try charging the battery. You need to use a battery maintainer when the car sits for long periods. Note that some Toyota shops do not necessarily know how to check the 12V completely.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The red exclamation point in parenthesis means the 12 volt battery is dipping below 11.4 volts under load. It is done. Replace it with a Optima Yellowtop asap.

Autozone online offers a good deal with 15% off $199 online w/ pickup at store with a $50 gift card for future AZ purchases. Good deal. Direct bolt in. Hundreds of posts about installing the 12 volt.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Janet,

Advance Auto Parts is still allowing the code BATX to work. If you enter that online in the promotion code area, you will get a $50.00 discount before taxes. If you go to Advance Auto Parts and simply try to buy the battery over the counter, they will not allow you to use the discount. The battery lists online for $199 plus tax with a $12 core charge. The part # for the Optima Yellow Top Battery is DS46B24R

If your car does not have "Smart Key" on it, you will need to change the battery tray to allow the replacement battery to fit properly and the hold down clamps to work properly. There are two (2) different battery trays that go in the Prius. Most of the Prii's manufactured have the "Smart Key", but some of them (base model) did not. Those that did not have the "Smart Key" have a smaller battery in them, therefore the tray is smaller. If you go with a aftermarket battery such as the Optima or the Exide (only other drop in battery for Prius), and happen to own a "base model" Prius, you will need to change the tray for everything to fit properly. The tray is available from Toyota.

Here's the link for the Optima Battery.

Buy Optima Batteries YellowTop Dual-Purpose Battery, Group Size 24, 450 CCA DS46B24R at Advance Auto Parts

Here's the link for the battery tray, note there are two listed. One for the small battery, one for the bigger one.

2009 TOYOTA PRIUS Parts - Champion ToyotaWorld

Good luck,
    Ron