1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reddit Sent Me: Yesterday my 2010 Prius with 130k broke down. Dealership says $3.5k to fix. Legit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MartenR, Apr 2, 2017.

1. MartenR

MartenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello,

Yesterday my 2010 Prius with 130k miles and I broke down. "Check Hybrid System" I had it towed to the Toyota dealership. They said they need to replace the Charging System Inverter (woman said the code came back Component failed) for $2408 but warned that they cant guarantee its not the entire computer that needs to be replaced

So the cost for the entire computer replacement is $3343 + $500 for labor. So if I risk paying the cheaper price, I might have to pay the more expensive cost on top. Has anyone had this issue? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

I am a little tech-unsavvy so sorry if I didnt post the above details right.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most inverter failures have been covered by an extended warranty by Toyota. You may want to ask about that

Mendel Leisk and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles on the car? OR has CARB warranty but I am thinking although it is 150k miles on some things such as battery, it is not full CARB so it falls back to 100k on some things,

4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with JC. Toyota had a recall and or some extended warranty for the inverter system for the gen 3 at some point.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    March 2014 is the date on our inverter recall; this is in Canada. We didn't get warranty extension, but I believe in the States they did.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lf you find the inverter is not covered under warranty, then find an independent shop specializing in hybrids that will install a used inverter for you.

7. MartenR

MartenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Is it possible that its the 12volt battery and not the inverter at all? Thanks!

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is worth checking, especially if the failure happened when you were trying to start the car. If the failure occurred while running on the highway, then a failing 12V would be far less likely as the 12V battery would merely be getting charged by one of the inverters, not actually powering anything.