1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Redline Motor Oil:

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edthefox5, Sep 30, 2013.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After years of using their transmission fluids and being really happy with the product I tried there motor oil.
    Years ago in my 07 I tried Redline Motor Oil in 0-20 and it made the top end more clackity.
    I distinctly heard more valve and timing chain noise. I dumped it and went back to M1.

Recently decided to try it in 10-30 and it makes a remarkable difference in how the motor sounds and feels.
    The top end of the engine makes much less noise and engine seems to idle much smoother.
    Much quieter under the hood under way.

Its pure base ester stock oil with higher ZDP additives. $ 11.95 a quart. I buy it at Jegs as they take Paypal. In this case you get what you pay for. Have not noticed or tracked any mpg increase but at its age I'm just happy it still runs so good with little signs of aging.

I highly recommend this oil in a Gen 2.

Also did the AC e-coil cleaning maintenance since I was under there. I recommend if you go through the trouble of changing your own oil do this also. The tube is right there. Hard part is jacking the car up.

Dino33ca likes this.
  2. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi Ed, are you still using this oil? Are you pleased with the higher viscosity still? I've got an opportunity to pick this oil up at a good price. I like the idea that it is the only true 'ester' based oil or group iv which is suppose to be good for keeping valve seals conditioned. Thanks. I heard someone say that higher viscosity oil lacks the same protection that lighter oils offer. Maybe they don't know what their talking about, winter driving perhaps...

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I still use it. Really quiets the motor down
    And runs really good.
    When you get it put a little between your fingers
    And feel it. Most slipperiest stuff I have ever felt like
    Liquid plastic.

Try it. Let me know. I run 5-30.

Dino33ca likes this.
  4. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've got about 8k miles on Redline 5w30 now and am very impressed. Planning on doing a 10k oic with a Fram Ultra filter. I also use a filtermag. Redline claims:
    • Improved fuel economy and ring seal for more power.
    I really believe what they are saying is true as I noticed an increased power boost. Oil seems to be holding up well and car is running as well as ever. I highly recommend along with Edthefox. Anyone else trying Redline?

ABOUT RED LINE MOTOR OIL

• Fully-synthetic ester formula for passenger cars, light trucks, performance vehicles and marine applications
    • Excellent wear protection and friction reduction across a wide range of operating conditions
    • High detergency allows extended drain intervals and provides increased cleanliness
    • Improved fuel economy and ring seal for more power
    • Superior high temperature stability and oxidation resistance increases lubrication of hot metal compared to other synthetics
    • High natural viscosity index (VI) provides thicker oil film in bearings and cams
    • Less evaporation than other synthetics for improved efficiency and ring seal
    • All products are completely compatible with other conventional and synthetic motor oils

#4 Dino33ca, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd definitely try it sometime, as the car ages if I started seeing oil loss I would try this right away. I would perhaps first try Mobil-1 High Mileage to see if that helped. If that didn't help I'd switch over to Redline to see if that somehow was able to seal things up. Right now I seem OK with regular Mobil-1 products.