1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reeally Stupid Question...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wynder, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Wynder

Wynder New Member

So, I was on the lot checking out the Prius I'll be picking up in... 10 days ( :D ) and I spent about 30 seconds poking and prodding the gas lid trying to figure out how to open it -- is there a switch on the inside that releases it?

2. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

yes ! on the floor there is a lever you pull up, just like the good ole days! no gadgetry involved ;)

congrats on your new prius. welcome to the <s>cult</s> club :)

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, just to the left of the drivers seat on the floor.

4. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

or, just to the right, depending on where in the world you are :D

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I find the gas cap release lever to be particularly annoying. I never had one on any of my other cars. So even after 9 months or so, I still find myself walking back to the gas cap, discovering that I can't open it, and then having to go back and pull the damn lever.

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I personally prefer inside release levers - one less thing to worry about people tampering with (vandals putting foreign substance in the gas tank, siphoning, etc...). :)

Strangely, I have noticed most imports use a release lever, while most American vehicles do not. Never really understood why, as I can't imagine this being an "expensive" option...?

- Kevin

7. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

the camry i'm switching out for the prius has the inside lever - sounds like it's the exact same thing.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My old car had that too, as well as a lever to open the rear hatch. I wouldn't mind that on the Prius as well, as a backup incase there's no power. Otherwise you have to crawl into the rear area to get to the release.

9. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interestingly, the Sienna does not have a lever; it just opens. (Well, at least this is true for my dad's '04).

Edit: Okay, I lied. It does indeed have a release. I must have been remembering our previous van (a '99 Nissan Quest)

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like the latch. My Civic had it so I'm used to it. Makes me feel safer that nobody's going to mess with my gas. But I agree that a latch for the rear hatch would also be very nice to have. I always have to fumble a bit to get it to open, and a release latch that actually popped it open would be nice.

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

My former '99 SL2 Saturn had a latch as well as the trunk release about the same place our current gas release is.

12. QED

QED New Member

I have had cars with the inside gas cap release for years and I still sometimes forget to pull the damn lever! :lol: :blink:

This senior moment brought to you by...........

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That's happened to me a few times, even with the Prius. And I am not a senior, not even in the liberal 50 years old senior category.

14. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't even remember the last car I had that DIDN'T have an inside release lever. Maybe the Volkwagen Beetle I drove >20 years ago?

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually, alone those lines (ie going to the door and finding it still closed), in my last car, the pin got stuck once and the door wouldn't open. Of course I had waited in line to fill up, but I had to drive home and find out why it wouldn't open. A simple spray of WD40 to lube it took care of the problem, but first I had to get something inside to trip the pin. It took a bit, but nothing was broken.

16. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 04 Sienna has a lever inside.

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i never remember to pull that $%*& lever. not like i get much practice since i rarely visit the gas station.

but i do like knowing noone is going to mess with my gas tank.

18. shawn7

shawn7 New Member

I like the lever idea. But , my last car (Infiniti G35) was nice too. When doors locked, the door wouldn't open, when unlocked, you could push it and it would pop open.

~Shawn

19. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i guess i have had mostly hondas & toyotas......so all of them have had the release on the inside by the drivers' seat. & i most certainly agree.....the inside release is definitely for security purposes.....with the prior gas situation....someone could syphon off your tank .....or an ex or enemy could put sugar in your tank.........its great to have this option! :)

20. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the Prius gas door release is totally mechanical so the only power required to open it is from your fingers.

My Toyotas have had latches like this for many years so I would not know how to open a gas door any other way.