1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Refill Overflo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tazman, Aug 2, 2006.

1. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all,
    I'm a new Prius owner, picked up my 06 last Friday. Filled up my tank today as I had one bar left after 318 miles. Not really sure how much the dealer put in, but it was full. When the pump clicked off the first time, it was at 8.9 gallons. I pushed to fill it more, like I normally do with my old car. It went up to 10.16 gallons and clicked off again. When I pulled the nozzle out, the tank spit gas back at me. I guess I should have stopped at 9.5 or so. I'd say maybe 10 oz came running out and down the side of my car. My question is, has anyone else every have this happen? Where do you stop when you fill your Prius, the first clik of the pump or more? I feel like a pump nOOb!!

2. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tazman @ Aug 2 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]296656[/snapback]</div>
    most of us stop at the first auto-shutoff. overfilling slops gasoline into the gas vapor canister - overloads it, and then it isn't able to do its job.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we get reports of this here all the time. on one occasion i got barely over 10 gallons in, when i had gone a few miles after the "add fuel" warning popped up. otherwise it's always between 8 and 9.5 gallons. the fuel bladder is a pain- do a quick search for "bladder" and you'll see what others have experienced. and hey, congrats on the new car! :)

4. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I'm new to the community, and had pretty much the same experience. At delivery, the car was "flashing pip" empty, and the salesman took me to the station with the dealer's gas card for a fillup. I did my usual (up to now...) top off routine, pulled out the hose, and watched in amazement as my car did a reasonable, if horizontal, recreation of the Vesuvius eruption (minus, thankfully, the smoke and flames...). This bladder thing is no joke. I've been topping cars compulsively since I started driving in the mid-70s, and I've never seen one project out this much gas with this much force.

Assuming that I lost at least a half gallon (no kidding, probably more), how many years of Prius enviro-cleanliness did I just cancel out??? :blink: