1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

reflections on my first drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Starman, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Starman

Starman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I unexpectedly located a new Prius (silver, package #6) at a Kansas City dealership a few days ago, and picked it up yesterday afternoon. I drove it 170 freeway miles home later in the day. My impressions:

1. The dealer experience was exceptional. My sales rep, the sales manager, and a computer tech (working on his Ph.D. in computer science) spent nearly 2 hours with me going over all the features, with the most time being devoted to the nav system.

2. I am 6 feet 5 inches tall (190 lbs) and had no trouble at all fitting in the car.

3. I have owned 3 BMWs (including a 7 series), Volvo, and a few GM cars. The comfort of the Prius seat was as good as any of them except the Volvo (the most comfortable car seat, in my opinion).

4. I was amazed at the smoothness of the ECVT transmission when traveling up long, steep grades. No "shifting."

5. I drove 170 miles at speeds of 60-65 mph, and experienced absolutely no "drift" or instability.

6. I drove 25 miles of stop and go city traffic before 170 freeway miles, and was pleasantly surprised to have achieved 49 mpg upon arriving home. This was without over-inflating the tires, and using cruise control.

7. Visibility in all directions was excellent.

8. The nav system was remarkable. Better than any I have used before.

9. The voice recognition feature worked flawlessly.

10. The Bluetooth phone system worked well. Was able to make several calls using the hands free mode, controlling everything from the steering wheel.

11. Not a single incident of "road rage" was directed at me.

As the computer tech at the dealership said, "You are driving the most technically advanced car in the world." That may be an exaggeration, but not much.

This week I have appointments to have the following extras applied: window tinting (35 front, 30 rear), clear bra, side body mouldings, painted mud flaps, side decals, and GT seat covers.

2. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

Hello and Welcome to Priuschat. Glad you first experience with the Prius was a good one. I have the windows tinted and have the clear bra installed. You will be happy with both choices.

I love the technology in this car!!! I wouldn't trade it in for the world :)

Regards,
    Bit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starman\";p=\"99697)</div>

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Starman! Another (near) Sprinfieldian here...I'm in Nixa and have had my Prius since Oct. '03. Gimme a hollar if you have any questions or need help getting an XM or EVbutton installed or if you just wanna compare mpgs!

BTW, is "Starman" b/c you're a Rush fan or an actual astronomy guy? I'm a pretty big Rush fan myself.

Look for this car on the road![​IMG]

4. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

Welcome Starman, glad you had a great experience and a great ride home...hey, OT, efusco....where did you get the side decals and how much were they? They look great. I'm assuming they offer them in a darker color for Silver cars?

Thanks, and again, welcome aboard Starman

Dave.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of our members here used to sell them. Check the Sponsored commercial ads area, there may be something there.

6. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"99728)</div>
    Thanks, I'll check

Dave.

7. Starman

Starman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Paul Demmitt is the Prius owner who has made these decals in the past. You can contact him at

[email protected]

He made a set of gray decals that I will be applying to my silver Prius. The cost is $15 for one set, and $25 for two sets.

8. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starman\";p=\"99733)</div>
    Thanks for that info Starman...I appreciate it and will get in touch with him.

Dave.