1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Refueling problem poll for all Prius owners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by qbee42, Jun 30, 2008.

?
  1. I always have problems

10 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. I frequently have problems

16 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I sometimes have problems

18 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. I occasionally have problems

46 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. I never have problems

117 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There have been long running discussions about refueling problems for the N.A. Prius with the fuel tank bladder. Let's see if we can get some real data about the problem.

Tom

2. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    never....but we follow the guidelines regarding slow filling and not overfilling.

3. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Never, so far,, keeping fingers crossed.

I usually fill up at 2 or 3 pips and can put 7 gallons in. I have never let it get down to 1 blinking pip as all the talk on PC has made me afraid to even try to get it down to 1 blinking pip. So, I am assuming that with 2 or 3 pips left I have around 1/4 of a tank about 3 gallons or so.

4. Zhe Wiz

Zhe Wiz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two Prius family here - both 08's. Only occasional problem we have is pump shutting off too soon. Seems to be pump dependent though, and doesn't happen often.

Zhe Wiz

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never had a problem fueling up the old girl.

6. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Never had issues with the tank burping. However i cannot get more then 9 gallons in one shot.. and i never complain about it.

7. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The only issue I've ever had is that if I put more than 6-7 gallons in, I have trouble getting the hose out of the filler tube when I'm done. It seems like Fiona wants to suck down every last drop. . .

8. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always followed the "unofficial" guidelines of slow filling (usually set pump to first notch) and have never really seemed to have a problem until recently. I don't believe it to be any fault of the Prius, but rather the pump I suspect to have been the culprit however I've never been able to reproduce the situation at the same pump.

I was filling at a pump (set to first notch as usual) and turned my attention away while filling and when I turned around at the sound of the pump shutting off it was reading 12.881 gallons!!! :eek:

The bill was $45 when prior to that I had never spent more than about $33 on a tank of gas. I didn't have the time to argue with the station that my car only has an 11.9 gallon tank and I was driving to get there so yes there had to be some amount of fuel in the bottom of the tank so I wanted to know where the rest of it went? Suspecting I had been a victim of some scheme to rip customers off on gas I reported the station to Department of Agriculture - Weights and Measures who is going to investigate and test their pumps. Haven't heard anything back yet... Aside from that, no problems... So I selected "occasional" from the survey.

9. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only with older, mostly rural gas pumping equipment, never (yet) with newer pumps.

10. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I fill up full blast at 2 pips or less. When the pump automatically stops, so do I. No issues with either the 04 or 08.

11. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't consider it a problem, I have never been able to put more than 10 gallons in my tank.

The specs do say that the tank capacity is 11.9 gallons however that was before they put the bladder and enviromental stuff in it.

I normally fill up when I get to 2 pips though ocasionally I have seen the blinking pip. I've never run out of gas.

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I voted "I never have problems." But... there's always the next fill-up.

I would have preferred to have this choice: "I have not yet had a problem,"
    which admits to the possibility that things might change in the future.

13. Huntceet

Huntceet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, I've never had a problem fueling. But I've only got 4800 miles on the car. I just know that the next time I fuel up it's going to geyser all over the place. All on account of me replying to this poll.

Rod

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like this answer. Here we have a car with as much technology as NASA, but it doesn't pay to tempt fate. :D Technology is like that. Even when you understand it thoroughly and use it all the time, it still feels like black magic.

Tom

15. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have twice. the first time i set it on the first notch and was cleaning the windshield when i heard and then saw gas spilling all over the place! apparently the shut-off never registered. the second time it was nearing 10 gal and i decided to manually shut it off to prevent a repeat of the previous event, causing the gas to burp back up a little... :(

other than those two issues (the first at a Valero and the second at a Brookshire's) everything's been great!

16. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Put one more choice there:

It only happened once

Ever since then I let the tank vent before fueling. Open up the gas cap..go inside..get soda...wait a little bit. And it then fuels up fine.Haven't had a gusher since.Fingers crossed. :fear:

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah my first was at 5500 miles. Was flawless till that event. Always on slow slow fill too. Man, almost a gallon of gas shot out of the tank. Now I have had good luck venting. Emphasis on luck.

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In two years I had one "no shut off" problem and one brief "premature shut off".

20. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have had 2 BGT (barfing gas tank) events in 20K miles. The last time it happened was over a year ago. In retrospect, both times may have been caused by not getting the nozzle far enough down into the filler tube. The tip of the nozzle must be below the rubber seal inside the filler.