1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

refundable extended warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by the fish, Feb 14, 2006.

1. the fish

the fish Member

The business manager of my dealer calls me regarding an extended warranty. They are offering up to 7/100,000 for $1,945 for the platinum coverage. I know this is almost double what somes folks here have paid. But I asked him if the premium was refundable if not used. He said for $200 more I can get the refundable option which means if I don't use the warranty and still own the car at the end, I can get my premium back less a $50 service charge.

I have a warranty like this on my Honda with the refund option, but I haven't had it long enough to know I will get the money back for sure. But I do have that in writing.

Of course, paying $1,000 for the same warranty is a better deal if you think you will use it. But it you are not sure, then the refund might be a good option.

Anyone have experience with this? Am I still getting ripped off?

2. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would you rather have just piece of mind or do you want both piece of mind and your money back later? Maybe. I would bet that you will use the warranty for something-probably expensive. From the posts I've read it seems that when things go wrong with Prius's it's mega bucks. I personally would pay $990. Same warranty. Unless you're real young are you sure you'll still be around after the warranty is up? I'm 55 and a diabetic. It's your call.

3. the fish

the fish Member

Good point. If the price difference was smaller, it might be worth considering.