1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Refurbished Battery & New water pump, Red Triangle Again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jesse Barrio, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Jesse Barrio

Jesse Barrio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two months ago I had a refurbished battery installed in my 2006 Prius with 145K miles, then 2 weeks ago the Red Triangle popped up again, however the car was running fine, still getting good mileage and no noise coming from the exhaust fan in the backseat. I took it to my mechanic, it turns out it needed replacement of the battery water pump. I had the water pump replaced and they also replaced 2 cells of the refurbished battery as it's under warranty. I picked up the car and drove 20 miles and the triangle popped up again, I took it back to the mechanic they checked it out and the pump and battery were fine. They then reset the computer and the triangle went away. I leave again and the triangle pops up yet again about 20 miles later.

Any thoughts on this? Like I said the consumption is still great with the triangle on and no lack of power. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

what is a 'battery water pump'?

without codes, we can't really help, but in all likelihood, the refurb battery is rubbish

SFO likes this.
  3. Jesse Barrio

Jesse Barrio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may be describing it wrong but I think it's the engine cooling inverter water pump assembly, that part was replaced. I'll have to get the exact codes from my mechanic this week. If the refurbished battery is no good would it still be running fine with good MPG?
    Engine Cooling Inverter Water Pump Assembly

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is possible, when one cell goes out of balance, but it could also be something else.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It sounds to me like you need to get a code reader of your own, mostly because I don't trust any mechanic after the crap I've dealt with over the years. My first guess would be there's an inverter cooling problem. There are two subcodes for the P0A93. One is for the pump circuit and the other is for the cooling fan circuit. Even with a P0A93, the car will still drive normally, as long as temp doesn't get crazy.

Why would they replace modules in the battery of the battery was ok?

6. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You went to the wrong mechanic.

Get hold of Steve at Phoenix Hybrid Batteries.

PHOENIX HYBRID BATTERIES

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you use equipment to view the live data and read the error codes you will be much closer to an answer.
    Could be the hybrid battery though.