1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regen adjust?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Pegasus_, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Pegasus_

Pegasus_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello all.

Having owned an all-electric car before getting the Prius, I'm used to somewhat more aggresive regenerative braking. (Plus I like the additional recovered energy. ;) ) The inverter on my electric car allows me to adjust the amount of regen (and torque!) via an attached PC.

I found an article that discusses making this mod to a Prius: http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2392/article.html but the author doesn't give wiring details.

Does anyone have the service manual for the 2007 Prius that could flesh this out a little more? Or better yet, does anyone know if regen is adjustable via the computer service mode screens??

Thanks!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is nothing to adjust. All of the braking on the Prius is done with regen, until it gets down to about 7 mph, at which point it is too slow to effectively use regen. If you want more regen, push harder on the brake peddle. ;)

Tom

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 29 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]470254[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't hard braking at speeds >7 MPH also engage the mechnical brakes?

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pegasus_ @ Jun 30 2007, 04:17 AM) [snapback]470200[/snapback]</div>
    His vehicle is very low-tech 1999 original Prius, and the mechanical brakes were always engaged when he pressed his brake pedal.
    The 2004-2007 Prius is now very sophisticated and most braking was done by regeneration above 7 mph.

Yes, it is adjustable by brake pedal value.
    Attila's study shows the value 17 is the best.
    http://vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/CAN/brindex.html

Ken@Japan

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, see http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/bp/ for some figures
    and operational discussion on the system. Basically, there's 10-20
    amps of "drag" with no feet on either pedal, and if you begin braking
    with a slowish risetime you get up to 100 amps of pretty much pure
    regen all the way up to that 7mph or so transition point. In the '04
    and later prius, the hydraulics aren't touched at all unless/until
    needed.
    You can also play with "B" at speeds < 20 mph for a little extra
    drag regen, but really, it's almost exactly like touching the brake
    pedal. Only difference is that the rears don't preload.
    _H*

6. MPG > HP

MPG > HP Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 29 2007, 07:40 PM) [snapback]470438[/snapback]</div>
    I thought that "B" was for engine, not regen braking. When I use "B" I can definitely feel the IC come on, though probably with fuel off. Will have to check this with my ScanGauge.
    - Gary

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MPG > HP @ Jun 30 2007, 01:38 AM) [snapback]470515[/snapback]</div>
    You're correct, Hobbit was being intentionally brief in his comments. Using B will increase regen drag marginally but it will also use ICE compression to slow the vehicle. It is not recommended to use B mode in any but a few situations such as very long steep downhill runs where the battery would top off quickly just using the brakes.

8. larswest

larswest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think they should have driver adjustable regen, I really hope they get this in the 2019 Prius

9. larswest

larswest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am reluctant to brake my Prius hard because in my mind I am then using the brake pads. How is the regen controlled on the 2016 Prius that I drive?

10. larswest

larswest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is there anyone out there, perhaps a Toyota tech person that can explain in laymen terms what controls the regen now?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's basically the same. if you get a scan gauge, i'm told you can see when the pads are being applied.

btw, i think qb was a bit mistaken. it seems some pad pressure is applied and increases as you depress the pedal, iirc.
    if you drive efficiently, you'll rarely need to depress the pedal with a lot of force.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is more or less a fool's errand to try to second-guess how the car is making those tradeoffs while you are driving. There's more detail over here, which includes explanation of these graphs.

[​IMG]

In general, for driving a Prius, a very good approach is to sit down, turn it on, and drive it. :)

-Chap

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They do. It is called the brake pedal. Just watch the monitor so it stays in the EV range.

qbee42, is not quite correct, but given that this post was 2007, probably understandable. But, not all braking is re-gen above 7 mph, and I think the algorithm was changed along the way to increase the amount hydraulic brake application slightly which was possibly done to stop rust accumulating on the rotor (just my theory based on brake dust on my front wheels, given the amount of DWB (driving without brakes) I do, together with gentle foot brake application).
    What Chap said.

Just use the power meter to gauge it.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... and understand that the power meter on the dash is a huge simplification to give you something to look at, and is not telling you anything specific about when the hydraulic brakes are or aren't in use.

-Chap

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, as it is with most of the Prius graphics.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    LarsWest can I offer constructive criticism?

This is the Gen 2 forum, you have a Gen 4. If if the folks were still active, they would be experts on another car.

The last post before yours is from over 10.5 years ago, many of these posters will have moved on.

Regenerative braking recovers about 30% of the energy, other braking recovers 0% Organizing your life so you do not brake at all saves 100% of the energy. Obstructing traffic will negate all that 'savings' so do not hold up other drivers, and practice conservation on empty roads.

Below about 7 MPH, the Generators are turning too slow to offer much regen, it will all be friction braking.
    Below about 25 MPH, B mode can provide regeneration without turning the engine. Engine Braking negates all the good B mode might have done.

Pantelis likes this.