1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regen breaking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ScottY, Jun 21, 2005.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have been hearing you guys mention about regen breaking and pad breaking (from the teach my leadfoot wife thread). But when do you know which one is engaged?

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I can more or less feel and hear the difference.

The brake pads make an audible scraping. And the braking is much smoother and proportional to brake pedal travel while using regen. When the disks start there is somewhat of a grabbing effect.

But in general you just need to brake slowly to use regen braking. The rates you need are in here somewhere. I just try to brake no faster than I can accelerate and figure then the motors can handle it and preferably a bit slower.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't really tell with this one unless you do a semi-panic stop. I did that once and the system bypassed regen and went straight to the brakes. Everyone's like, why'd you brake so hard for? but I didn't. It wasn't even half way through the possible brake pedal travel range.

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If it's breaking, you should teak it back to your local dalership or service center.

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike\";p=\"100540)</div>
    lol.... of because i meant braking... that's why i never got into spelling bee.... :|

6. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Dont' forget about the brake assist. The car can deside you really want to stop right NOW (really just guesses by how fast and how hard you press the pedal) and it applies the right amount of brake to get you to v=0 ASAP. I've had mine do this once. It was really quite abrupt, but I was proud it stopped so fast. After driving a car with power nothing, it still seems weird to let the car be partly in cintrol.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Actually, unless there is a brake system failure, the car is in FULL control. The master cylinder hydraulics are completely cut off from the wheel hydraulics under normal conditions.

8. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"100728)</div>
    True, but for the most part, it does what I tell it. It's those times when it "guesses" what I mean, instead, that scare me.