1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regenerative Brakes? Really?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by drmanny3, Apr 1, 2005.

1. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

OK, I have wondered about the brakes on the 05 Prius. I read in some of the posts that these brakes are regenerative. I really question that they are. When I let up on the gas or if I am coasting the computer does send the energy created by the vechicle moving to the battery to insure that it is charged. Applying the brakes lightly does nothing to inhance this activity. In other words stepping on the brakes produces heat as a by product of friction against the drums in the back and the rotor in the front. This heat is not captured as suggested when posts say the car has regenerative braking. The heat is just spent to the atmosphere. Now if we had a system to collect the heat and then use it to off set the need to heat our interior or something else that required a heater than I would say that braking produces some regenerative energy. Now did I miss the boat here?? Does someone know that braking in of itself actually causes the car to turn the generator faster producing more electricity for the battery and in addition causes the car to slow down? I would think that putting the car into B should use the gearing in such a way to charge the battery faster, however I have not noticed this to occur. Help

Manny

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    My take here is that more resistance is applied to the electric motor when u step on the brake, thus it slows the car (more friction inthe electric motor itself, NOT the actual friction of brake pads/rotors), and basically instead of driving the wheel using electricity, it uses the wheel turning as a generator and the electricity goes toward the battery, charging it.
    Friction brakes (pads on rotors/drums) engage below 8 or so MPH or if you REALLY stomp on the brake pedal during an emergancy stop. Anyone else?

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The regeneration is not done by heat capture/conversion. It is done by using one of the motors as a generator, which puts a load resisting the coasting vehicle. That harder you press the brake, the more resistance is used. At some pedal point it starts to use the friction brakes themselves, and at low speed, uses them solely.

4. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

Is there any technical data to enlighten us on the exact activities that occur? I will review the Service Manuals that I purchased.

Manny

5. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  6. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The best place is Graham's web site. You can get the address from the files. Study in particular motor generator (MG) 2. That's the one that does the regeneration. Another source is Oak Ridge National Laboratory report # ORNL/TM-2004/247, also available on the internet. The term "regenerative braking" is misleading. A better term would be regenerative deceleration. Think of the brake as the regen regulator--the more you press on the brake pedal the higher the regen charge rate and the car decelerates quicker; at some point the friction brakes take over.

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Manny, et al:

I cannot give you a technical discussion regarding regenerative braking that will speak of voltages, resistance, actuation of energy recovery, control systems, etc.

During driving the motor/generators are used to create and regulate forward motive force in conjunction with the ICE. During braking, and coasting the m/gs are used to recover the kinetic energy from the vehicle's forward movement. This is part of where the term generator comes into the equation (the other part being when a portion of all of the ICE output is turning one of the m/gs and generating electricity, this can happen at a standstill and during cruising).

So, when you apply the brake, the system determines, based on brake position and the force used to depress the brake, what kind of combination of regeneration and friction should be used. In conservative driving situations it is likely that until you are almost at a stop that all braking force will be provided by electrical resistance created by one of the m/gs I believe that at about 7mph the m/gs are no longer effective at braking and friction brakes operate alone. However, in panic braking, quick normal braking, friction brakes will play a greater role than in average braking situations.

When you take you foot off the accelerator the system places an electrical load on the m/g thus simulating auto tranny drag. If this were not part of the programming the vehicle would coast much more like a manual with the clutch engaged. This electrical load is also regenerative in nature. By using electrical loads on the m/gs the vehicle is able to recover some kinetic energy to be reused in propulsing the vehicle.

No energy recovery is loss less, however this method does reduce brake wear and heat and produces something useful for the car to use again when accelerating away from the stop.

Regenerative braking is real and works every time you drive the car.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If we can believe Toyota, yes, they are. Don't be misled by the observation that the little arrows in the multi-function display don't move any faster when you touch the brakes. They don't move faster in the other direction when you stamp harder on the gas, either.

9. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtmhog\";p=\"77696)</div>
    I thought the Oak Ridge report was interesting, until I got to the part where they described the turbocharger in the Prius. They kind of took a credibility hit at that point.

10. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

Well thanks for all your responses. I am really impressed with how the braking transitions from electrical to friction. I wonder if locomotives which use electric wheels driven by the diesel motors don't also use a change in field to reduce the speed of the wheels thus slowing down the locomotive.
    I must admit that I enjoy driving my 05 Prius
    Manny

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, the brakes do indeed regen. I've taken it down the mountain for over 20 miles and with no engine running, I got 8 green bars, while running the A/C. The engine did not start even once.

Nate

12. Ron Dupuy

Ron Dupuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I understand an earlier post, when I am coasting down hill in "B" on a full battery the computer, in order to not overcharge the battery, will "lose charge" by running the ICE. I also understood that if I use the foot brake with a full battery it by-passes the regen and goes directly to friction. My question is this: Is it better to wear the engine or wear the brakes? This is significant to me as I daily descend 3000 feet.

I would really appreciate an answer to this as it will determine my driving habits.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the reason why we use engine braking is to avoid overheating the brakes. I guess you could use the brake but light enough not to activate the friction brakes.

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

once the BSOC is at the top there is no more regen only friction brakes, by putting it in B the ICE is operating as an air pump and the load it applies to the planet carrier is used as the load on MG1 to force it to draw down the HV battery. Without using the friction brakes. Just watch the BSOC come down as your in B coasting down hill it will slowly drop. Once down a couple of bars put it back in D and watch the BSOC climb back up. We really need a Mini Scanner for the 2k4-5 Prius so people can actually see what happens with current draw and HV battery voltage.

15. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Frank
    I can always count on you to give informative and accurate input. Keep up the good work.

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

From a technical standpoint, when you press on the brake pedal, you send a request to the Skid (AKA Brake) ECU on how you intend to stop. It sends a request to the HV ECU on how much regen braking force it needs. The HV ECU returns how much force it can deliver, and the Skid handles the excess via friction braking. If any specialized braking is needed, such as TC, VSC or ABS, that has to be done via friction basis on an individual wheel basis.

Attila has done some analyzing on brake pedal force versus energy recovery through regen braking:
    http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/CAN/brindex.html

17. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Frank Hudon, You're the Prius man!!! Driving around with a mini scanner plugged in. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota contacts you for data!!!!

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtmhog\";p=\"78346)</div>
    That gives me an idea. As long as we are wishing for a G3 mini scanner why not one with memory. Collects all the data then down loads it to your PC for further analysis and perment log. We can wish can't we? 8)

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Locomotives have long used "dynamic" brakes: these are not regenerative because the energy is dissipated as heat in large resistor banks. It's not feasible to store a useful fraction of the energy from a ten-thousand ton train in batteries, so they don't bother.

The situation with a relatively small switcher locomotive moving a relatively small numbers of cars is more amenable to regeneration, hence the recent introduction of the "Green Goat": http://www.railpower.com/products_hl_ggseries.html

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Actually, I do believe they are designing locos that will be using batteries.

In the past though, I believe diesel generators were directly coupled to motors, known as a series hybrid configuration. Modern ships do that too, though they I believe have batteries.