1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regenerative braking not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pongman, Jan 24, 2024.

1. pongman

pongman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So after a hard break, this sign (!) came on and the red triangle(Note: I have a bad 12v battery at the time.)
    After the incident, i noticed that the wasn't working and that the braking was mostly done by the rear brakes.

I changed the 12v battery and then went to read the codes, and got a C1241 and C1310. The car starts up normally and drives, but without REGEN to slow the car down more as it used to do. I also noticed that when i lift off the gas pedal, i still have the arrows charging the battery and even yesterday i got a 7 green bar of battery.

Anyone know what might be the cause?
    Thanks in advance

#1 pongman, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2024
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now clear those codes and see if they come back You have them and know what they are clear them That's something to do with the battery reporting low voltage to the skid control ECU or some such nonsense now that you've got a proper 12 volt clear those codes drive when you say you have no region breaking when you take your foot off the gas you don't have the blue arrows for you have the arrows but the lines aren't moving?

3. pongman

pongman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey
    I have those arrows and i noticed that the battery is charging. The problem is that when i lift off the trottle, the car does not slow down the way it used to with regen.

Today I thought, it would be the Hybrid ABS not working, because the brakes feel a bit hard and more agressice on the rotors, so much so, that i can hear the break pads friction with the rotors. This did not happen before.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The C1310 code you have ("Hybrid Vehicle System malfunction") is a trouble code the brake/stability system sets simply because it knows the hybrid vehicle control ECU has set another trouble code or codes of its own. C1310 just means to go get those trouble codes from that other ECU, which will tell you what's going on.

Usually in a thread like this, where somebody mentions C1310 and no HV control ECU codes in the same post, it means the scan tool that was used isn't capable of showing the HV control ECU codes, and a different scan tool that can show them would be helpful in pinning down the issue.

Fred_H and Brian1954 like this.
  5. pongman

pongman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks
    What kind of mechanic has that kind of code reader adn where is that ECU located.

Its wierd to drive it that way. it goes to "READY" and its perfecty driveble, the brakes charge the battery, but they dont feel as strong as before when im off the gas pedal

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat!

As mentioned, you have a fault with something in the hybrid system, but your scantool cannot communicate with the hybrid control or high voltage battery ecu's.

Here is a thread that reviews several scantool apps and devices. Some are capable of scanning all 14 to 16 systems on a Gen2 Prius.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. pongman

pongman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

I'll do that. Do you recommend a OBD2 Scanner or it can be and Bluetooth adapter?