1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regenerative Braking System clicking noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by caymandiver75, Nov 9, 2015.

1. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All,

I'm working on trying to figure out why I am hearing some clicking sounds when coming to a stop in my 2012 Prius 3. Had it at the dealer and he assured me nothing is wrong with the brakes. Unable to figure it out the dealership gave me the car back and said to keep an eye on things and let them know if it gets worse. Well I decided to continue working on my own figuring out the source of the noise. Today I did a some braking with the car in Neutral and sure enough the noise is gone! Go back to braking in drive and the noise is back.

Facts so far.
    1. No noise while braking in Neutral
    2. Noise is not nearly as noticeable in temps above 75.
    3. Noise does not start becoming noticeable until after a few minutes of driving.
    4. Noise sounds like metallic clicking.

Any thoughts comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

pauerbach likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's somebody else recently posted about clicking sounds when braking, maybe you can find the thread? Sounded similar to your case.

3. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same sound. It is very intermittent, right now I have bigger things to worry about so haven't put too much thought into it.

4. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dealership replaced the front left (driver side) axle and the noise is gone. Hopefully the front right doesn't develop the same sound.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Sinoman83

Sinoman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So did it stop the clicking? I think im having this problem now. Did a brake pad check and lubed everything and still have clicking. What was your milage? Also what warranty did you have it replaced under?

6. pauerbach

pauerbach Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have this exact same clicking. It's driving me nuts. The dealer checked the brakes and found no problems. Ugh.

I'm out of warranty at this point, so replacing an axle sounds expensive if it's on my dime. Do you know if this is causing any damage?