1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regional Prius Classification

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Toolin, May 5, 2009.

1. Toolin

Toolin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All,

It seems to me that there are significant regional (country of manufacture??) variations of our Prii.

For example, the overrides for reversing beeps and sat nav programming lockout work from some locales, and not others (I have tried MANY times and they have never worked - Australia).:mad:

Also, what is considered 'standard equipment'. In Aus, we have an "I-Tech" model (an Aussie only definition??) with the JBL Stereo, Reversing Camera and other goodies, but not the parking assist (lines on screen) and Voice Recognition (Ok, I understand that "Mate, I want some top nosh and a bevvie, over a barbie and will bring my own esky, but a sanger and tooheys will do" might be confusing).:focus:

Simply, it would be nice to be able to say "Disable reversing beep does not work in 2007 Hawaii version" etc. That would save some people some time, grief and heart ache (e.g. I thought mine would have Voice Recognition, but it does not - it does for Voice Dial for Phone, but not Navigation. Must be to do with the bevvies, eskies, tooheys and sangers). :focus::.

Does anyone know a way to reasonably simply categorise our cars?

I'm willing to do some research, and work to make this happen, but I don't know where to start. I have had a good look through all the forums, but it (my search) was not exhaustive, so it is possible that I missed it, in which case, tell me to go jump and she'll be apples.

Thanks,

Toolin.:D

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read around enough and it's all in here somewhere. I know I saw that Aussie reverse beep is not optional.
    The nav stuff I didn't know, my TomTom don't have voice recognition either.
    Lane Keep Assist is too hard to calibrate to our crap lane lines in Australia so we don't get it here. It isn't on any Prius to date anyway.
    I'm not sure what we will get on the new iTech, Toyota Australia didn't seen to be sure either. They indicated there would still be a basic and full house trim levels and nothing half way.
    Height adjustable seat will remain in both trims, and heated leather with electric lumbar adjustment will be in the iTech along with the solar moon roof and adaptive cruise I believe. Oh stability control and a wad of airbags will now be in all new Prius.

I'm waiting for an invite from Toyota to a drive day somewhere on the east coast, why not Adelaide the most central capital in Australia I don't know.

I'll have more information when that happens.

3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All Prius are built in Japan. However, there are various specs which can differ, according to the sixth letter of the second half of your model code (destination code) and, in some cases, whether the car is left- or right-hand drive.

From memory, my car is an NHW20R-AH???W. NHW is the combination of NZ-series engine and ?W (possibly XW) platform. 20 means it's version 2 and the base engine on this platform. R indicates right-hand drive. A means it's the base model on this platform (Prius is not based on anything else). H is a 5-door hatchback. The W indicates Europe is the destination.

This list may not be complete:

A = USA
    B = Australia (if made by Australia Motor Industries)
    C = Sweden/Switzerland
    G = General/Europe
    K = Canada
    M = Philippines
    N = South Africa
    Q = Australia
    V = Saudi Arabia
    W = Europe
    (blank) = Japan/general

Toyota I.D. Codes

In addition, the MFD advanced diagnostics has a Destination option that can be configured. This may control some of the other button functions.

4. usaversion

usaversion New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,
    I have a USA 2007 model with sat nav and XM radio. According to Toyota the US sat nav will definitely not be upgradeable in europe with a dvd. They even claim the sat nav cannot be swapped for european hardware. Any experience with taking a US model to France ?